Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

3341 - 3355 of 3355 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Or the ones who low ball you. Back in 2001, I was selling my 1990 Toyota pickup (4 cyl, 5-speed, ext cab, 4x4, no A/C), 186K miles on it. I think I was asking $3300. A guy shows up in a Mercedes sedan and offers me $1500. I laughed and declined. Sold it a week or so later for $3000.

December and January seem to be tough months to sell a vehicle. I need to get my Sable cleaned up and on the market. Costing me $40/month to keep it insured and the temp plates on the V70 expire on 2/7.

Those clowns too. I've sold a LOT of cars and I always love the idiot who comes to look and cuts your price in half. It doesn't matter if it's $5000 or $500, they always want to cut you in half.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
People...... more specifically people who don't read a listing, or ask a million questions that are answered right in the listing. That and the 'I drive a million miles per week will it last me another 50 years' people. It's cheap, it has over 200k miles, yes it's taken me all over but I can't gaurentee anything. 3 months and not one serious buyer. I'm giving it maybe another 2-3 weeks then it's going back on the road as a backup.
I have two 2001s that I need to do something with. The silver (185k miles) one was totaled and I fixed it with a fender and door. Gold(125k miles) needs some serious rocker work. I figure the silver one would be a hard sell but it is reliable and we have driven it daily for the last year putting 15k miles on it. I thought I could sell it to someone that worked on cars and needed good transportation. Guess what,"No one works on cars anymore!!!!!!!" I am running it into the ground then the JY is where it is going. Gold one may get a full rocker panel this summer to keep it running for a few more years.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
It's really sad to think that nobody works on cars anymore. They all give up and buy new, overpriced sh*t. Honestly I have the car up for $700 cause I've been dropping the price from a grand. I'm not going below that cause honestly to me, that car is worth it. I've seen pieces of trash with blown motors/trans with asking prices in the 600-700 range. Pathetic. I told my wife today that I'd rather put the car back on the road and spend the $500/year it would cost to register/insure it than sell it for peanuts. Coming up to 7 years of ownership and 70K miles, it's become part of the family and I couldn't bring myself to junk a good runner or just give the car away. Rockers are solid, needs some suspension work that I couldn't do while it was a DD. I'd love to take the slushbox out and drop in a 5 speed to make it a more fun wagon. In another 2-3 weeks I'll be getting another bonus, and (better be) a raise which will cover what I paid for the van so I can justify giving up trying to sell it. Personally, I'm hoping it doesn't sell, cause I do miss driving it, especially for work cause I pay for my own gas and get a mileage reimbursement. Having that spare would help out with my van having almost 192k miles on it....... however the money would help. I just got word today we have 1 acquisition closing in 30-90 days, 1 in negotiations, and a few practices out of state they are inquiring about so it's going to be a busy year at work.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
We've always found it advantageous to keep at least one more vehicle on the road than we have drivers in the house but the boys ages are catching up with our current stable. It won't be long before one of them might be learning to drive in the car he came home in when he was born.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
My rule of thumb was to always have an extra car around so I could work on one of them at a less than emergency pace. I have never taken one to a shop for work and keeping five cars up to maintenance schedules is time consuming. I retired last year and my two daughters got through college and have good jobs as nurses and bought their own cars. Time to resize the fleet but will still have an extra car. Maintaining a fleet of five cars was nerve racking.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Between the cars & trucks, dirt & street bikes, snowmobiles, atv's and boats our boys grew up with tools in their hands. Over the years their efforts have gone from time consuming (but heart warming) 'help' and flashlight holding to ever improving levels of self sufficiency to the point where even though there are more mechanical beasts than ever that require maintenance the amount of effort required from me has actually dropped considerably.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
We've always found it advantageous to keep at least one more vehicle on the road than we have drivers in the house but the boys ages are catching up with our current stable. It won't be long before one of them might be learning to drive in the car he came home in when he was born.
My thought process is the same, having one more car than drivers in the house. Especially with my aging vehicles. My wife's car I don't have to worry about, however there's always the chance that something can happen. Having that 3rd car will mean always having something to drive. I already have thoughts in my head for it if/when the wagon does go back on the road. It would only take one person with the right amount of money to sell it, but at the same point in time, it would have to go to the RIGHT person. I've grown quite attached to it as it's been part of the family for almost 7 years. Like I said, I give it 2-3 weeks tops and I'm giving up trying to sell it. That's when my bi-annual bonus/increase will take place and what I've paid for the van will be paid back with it plus.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
" heavy mixed precipitation occurring and will change to
all snow. Plan on difficult travel conditions. Total snow
accumulations of 6 to 10 inches and ice accumulations of one
tenth to two tenths of an inch are expected.

the combination of ice, snow and gusty
northwest winds may cause power outages and tree damage. Snow
and sleet will be heavy and dense, making it a challenge to
shovel. Be prepared for significant reductions in visibility at
times. Cold wind chills as low as 15 below zero will cause
frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin."

Oh well winter is now here. Scouts canceled their "Polar Bear" camp out. My younger grandson was planning to go.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
When driving after a snow, and the right lane is perfectly clear, it never fails that somebody is driving 10 MPH under the posted limit with a death grip on their steering wheel. Thus, you're forced out into the messy left lane to pass them, or camp out behind them and wait it out.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
At a light and turning directly onto a ramp downhill to the interstate. Light turns and I turn along with others behind me. There is a modern pickup going 40 down the ramp and I have to wait until he gets were I can move left and across to the left lane, then kick the Buick to max and up to 70 and cruise. Wife says, "that man had his phone up in front of his face". I looked back and the rest of traffic is passing him and he is still way back as I was off in the distance with the rest of traffic.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Grinding my gears...…. waiting for health insurance cards from your employer after doing their open enrollment, just to find out it's not being taken out of your check meaning they haven't done a damn thing! Not only that, but the person you have to talk to is on vacation till mid next week, and here I am waiting to cancel my other garbage insurance. Not going to pay that premium, then pay the work premium(over $1000 for both) just because someone doesn't know how to do their damn job. Mistakes happen, but when it costs ME money, I don't care about an 'oops' … fix it.

·
Super Moderator
7,744 Posts
Unfortunately, the concept of a work ethic and doing your job to the best of your ability seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird. What ever happened to putting in an honest days work for an honest days pay?

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Unfortunately, the concept of a work ethic and doing your job to the best of your ability seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird. What ever happened to putting in an honest days work for an honest days pay?
They, (we) retired. But still help out doing volunteer work.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Not my first one but the first this season. Time to get the mouse trap back out there. Fortunate I saw this and then there no live ones in there. OK no dead ones too. Grandson brought my leaf blower back. All cleaned up and ready to put it back together.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Casts grind my gears. In particular, casts in summer heat and humidity. I would really like to go for a swim, or a sail or a blast on the Norton or a rip in one of the SHOs but mostly I would just like to be able to scratch a couple of inaccessible itches. That would just be great.

3341 - 3355 of 3355 Posts