Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 3368 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,057 Posts
My favorite IT related thing is when people complain to everyone but you about something you could fix in five minutes.

Reactions: sousa632

·
Registered
12 Posts
those shows are hilarious and still going strong. avoid parking where it's most convenient if your getting dinged up. out of view car is better than a scratch inview lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
i hate when upcoming cars in the passing lane all of a sudden match my speed directly 7 o'clock Blindspot. also people who pull out in front of me when theres no one behind me to further delay him. I understand if there's a long line of traffic behind me.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,057 Posts

Whoever at Ford was responsible for that system should be drawn and quartered.

Between that and my cursory glance under the hood, (2014 Escape with the 1.6L EB ) I'm seriously reconsidering buying a newer Ford.

I don't even know how you're supposed to get the battery out, short of ripping all the cowling out.

Sam thinks (and I concur) that it looks to be a dead APIM. I'm sure that'll be simple to fix. :rolleyes2:

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Fall hanging around for little more than a cup of coffee grinds my gears. No sooner did the Halloween stuff come down and the Thanksgiving stuff start going up than Winter decided that's enough of that.

Afternoon, evening, morning. Fall, the best time of year, gone just like that.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Grinding it out today are people that take ENTIRELY too damn long at the air pump......

The low air pressure light came on in the Sonata with all this cold weather we've been having. So I figured, I'll go over to Wawa grab some coffee and fill the tires. I pull up to the front and there's someone nose right to the air pump where most people park their doors to the pump at the curb. Oh well.... I figured I'd go inside first. Ok, took about 5-10 minutes taking my time to let that one finish up being that it's 15* outside and I was sure he was going to be done. Nope..... STILL working on the same damn tire he was on when I went in the store. I pull over, putting my lights where he's working to make it 100% obvious I'm looking to use the pump too. Didn't even phase Mr. Dumbass with his forehead light on. I sat there for another 10 minutes and watched this clown pump air in the tire, then take his tire pressure gauge like 15 times to check, then repeat on the SAME TIRE. I took a video of it but it's not PC, so I'm not posting :)

I got tired of the idiot, so I rolled down the window, honked the horn and yelled "Are you going to be much longer there??" I get "Nooooo" then 5 minutes later he goes to the trunk and wipes his hands with a rag like he was changing the oil in his car. Then he gets in with the light still on his head, puts it in reverse and hammers on it spinning the tires. I put 10lbs in all 4 of my tires in less time than it took him to do one tire. If it's that important to have EXACTLY 32lbs of air in the tires, and you are going to be anal about that, get your own compressor so you can spend all the time in the world to get it perfectly exact. I should have just called the cops cause this dude couldn't have been in any mental capacity to be able to safely operate a vehicle.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
Damn. If you have your own house with a garage, spend $120 at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and buy a compressor and a set of equipment to go with it - 25' hose, pneumatic impact gun and sockets, tire inflator, trigger nozzle for air rafts and such, and many kits come with a gauge on the inflator. I check the tires on all our vehicles monthly, and when I DO have to add air - it takes five minutes in my garage or in the driveway. And, when rotating tires, you can overtorque the lug nuts just like the pros! :D

I bought mine 16 years ago, it's paid for itself a hundred times.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
Personally, I don't know how I would ever survive without a good air compressor, lots of air tools, tons of hand tools, a few floor jacks and bottle jacks, several jack stands, a stick welder and a flux wire MIG welder, a good Fluke DMM and a couple other DMMs, a scope, signal generator, bench grinder, 85,000 BTU/hour worth of kerosene shop heaters, 220 V 60 A service out to the garage / shop, etc, etc.

Reactions: jag1959 and Lgbpop

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
Personally, I don't know how I would ever survive without a good air compressor, lots of air tools, tons of hand tools, a few floor jacks and bottle jacks, several jack stands, a stick welder and a flux wire MIG welder, a good Fluke DMM and a couple other DMMs, a scope, signal generator, bench grinder, 85,000 BTU/hour worth of kerosene shop heaters, 220 V 60 A service out to the garage / shop, etc, etc.
Wow, you're hard-core into maintenance - I'm jealous! In addition to six 5000lb. jack stands, I now have a pneumatic bottle jack that saves the strain on my back I used to get with my hydraulic floor jack. SO darned easy, just hook up the hose with the gauge-equipped tire inflator and pull the trigger. Put a jackstand or two where I need them for safety's sake...and now I want one of those screw-type car lifts...sigh. I'd have to knock out the attic floor to make room for a car; I'm tempted! :D

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I always felt like buying tools was a good idea since I could use them for years and years but as I get older that time is getting shorter and shorter. I have had at least a two HP compressor since I was 16. seventeen years ago I bumped up to a three HP 60 gallon compressor installed in the basement with black pipe running to my basement shop and garage. Also installed a 75k BTU gas heater in my garage. Makes winter time maintenance more enjoyable. Really like my Sam's club stainless tool chest.

After seeing my Dad bust knuckles on suspensions and exhausts I bought an oxy acetylene torch set and gas mig 25 years ago and never regretted it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
And, when rotating tires, you can overtorque the lug nuts just like the pros! :D

Don't even get me started on this topic--this is the number one screw-up I can count on from even "experienced" technicians, and it's completely avoidable.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Couldn't agree more, no doubt our lists could go on endlessly as more of the things that we've acquired over the years occurred to us. The time/effort/knuckles/discomfort saved is worth every dime. When questions come up here about the time and effort it takes to do a job it's easy to forget how much longer jobs take the average DIY'er with what they have at their disposal to work with.

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
A compressor and some air tools are already on my list of "must buy, when I have the money". Probably when this bonus cycle hits. Unfortunately I don't have a garage which kills me in the winter months when things need to be done to the cars.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
A compressor and some air tools are already on my list of "must buy, when I have the money". Probably when this bonus cycle hits. Unfortunately I don't have a garage which kills me in the winter months when things need to be done to the cars.
I opened up my garage, that is cleaned out a path couple years ago. Life saver for old coot like me, and the wife. Keep the Lincoln inside. And pic of the very useful thing, the wife gave me couple Christmas ago. For the old coot that has trouble getting up from a lower seat.

And the garage saved me a bit today. I have had the 24 hour bug for 3 days and get the chills and shakes every time I get near cold. Had to go the grocery today and the outside temp is single digits. Made it back and was able to get inside without too much pain. Correction it is -1F. I hope to spend new years asleep.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
People...... more specifically people who don't read a listing, or ask a million questions that are answered right in the listing. That and the 'I drive a million miles per week will it last me another 50 years' people. It's cheap, it has over 200k miles, yes it's taken me all over but I can't gaurentee anything. 3 months and not one serious buyer. I'm giving it maybe another 2-3 weeks then it's going back on the road as a backup.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
People...... more specifically people who don't read a listing, or ask a million questions that are answered right in the listing. That and the 'I drive a million miles per week will it last me another 50 years' people. It's cheap, it has over 200k miles, yes it's taken me all over but I can't gaurentee anything. 3 months and not one serious buyer. I'm giving it maybe another 2-3 weeks then it's going back on the road as a backup.
It took me nearly a year to sell my '01 Sable LS Prem wagon with 131K on it. Out beside the road with lots of traffic. But try to buy another and you find they want WAY too much, if you can find a decent one. Good wagons are hard to find. But my '03 wagon is rust free and in top shape at 125K miles. I may drive it tomorrow, been parked for nearly 2 weeks. Finally warmed up but not to freezing yet. I would bet $100 to $1 it will start in 1.0 seconds or less. :D

-chart-

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Or the ones who low ball you. Back in 2001, I was selling my 1990 Toyota pickup (4 cyl, 5-speed, ext cab, 4x4, no A/C), 186K miles on it. I think I was asking $3300. A guy shows up in a Mercedes sedan and offers me $1500. I laughed and declined. Sold it a week or so later for $3000.

December and January seem to be tough months to sell a vehicle. I need to get my Sable cleaned up and on the market. Costing me $40/month to keep it insured and the temp plates on the V70 expire on 2/7.

Reactions: sousa632
3321 - 3340 of 3368 Posts