Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...well January has 1 week to go and that leaves me with 4 months to search for a Taurus/Sable to purchase this summer. I dont have that much money to work with (~$3000 max). THis car is going to be driven mainly at speeds of 25-65. To get outa my "neighborhood/community" onto US 17, i have all of about 50 feet to get going to ~60mph. As i have read in the forums, the trannys in the t/s dont like to be driven very hard. Thats about the only time the tranny would have to work hard. So that brings me to this question...I need a car thats gona be able to handle being driven to school and back etc. (about 120mi/week) and be able to handle this area (there are NO Hills). What car has the best engine/tranny combo out there? And help/info would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: For insurance purposes and the climate i will need the car to have ABS, Dual Airbags, Automatic Tranny, and A/C

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
*knocks on wood* Where's the Gen 1 Essex combo? 171k on the original tranny

*goes outside and waits for his tranny to die*

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol..sry i didnt think of adding the gen 1...partly cause of the stupid state farm and their req. (at least were i am) of 2 airbags so I get a discount on insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I don't know much about GenIV tranny's but I do know that in the GenIII's the AX4N is considered to be better than the AX4S. On the GenIII, there is a sticker on the drivers side door. If there is an "X" by TR (for transmission), that car has the AX4N. Most duratecs had the AX4N, and some Vulcans did (like mine), though there isn't really a pattern to which Vulcans got it, and which ones didn't.

Hope my info on GenIII trannys helps out a little.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like gen 3 duratec is in the lead now.

Greenstreak--So I guess when im looking...be on the lookout for the "x"?

Gen 1 guys--If you know of a reliable tranny/engine combo let me know...i can save my money by buying older

Firespirit--how reliables ur 97...ive been lookin at them lately but i came across this site:http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2191
The trouble spots and the recalls make me lean towards a 98 for a gen3.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Reliable gen1 trannies? 2.5l with the 5 speed!!!!!
I have an essex and I know the transmission will last before I get rid of the car...cause the headgasket will blow before the tranny will ever start doing anything funny <_<

G

·
If you want a gen3, I HIGHLY advise you buy a 98 or 99. But to tell you the truth, I dont think I have seen a trans failure on 2002's and above.

Just curious, why have you not included gen4 w/vulcan.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SX--cant drive stick...no one taught me. rather just stick to auto but ill keep it in mind

XL--Id LOVE to have a g4, but i dont have the money for it. maybe later on down the road ill get a g4, like the one on my desktop And i guess the 96-97 is outa teh question. if i do go for a 98/99 is there any reason i should use a vulcan over a duratec?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
never had a ford tranny problem here, but the tranny in my '93 Vulcan was lazy as hell at 96k. I love the transmission in my Duratec (AX4N) its a '96.... 133k and still shifts like a dream, and i beat the crap out of it.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jan 25 2004, 10:42 PM
If you want a gen3, I HIGHLY advise you buy a 98 or 99. But to tell you the truth, I dont think I have seen a trans failure on 2002's and above.

Just curious, why have you not included gen4 w/vulcan.
I'm not sure but I think I heard that one of my dad's friends 2000 t/s might have ate the transmission in it but thats the only one I've ever heard of yet.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jan 25 2004, 09:53 PM
Greenstreak--So I guess when im looking...be on the lookout for the "x"?
Exactly. Like I said, it should be on the sticker on the inside panel of the drivers door.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I'd agree that the AX4N is probably the "best" automatic tranny. As noted it was used on pretty much every Gen 3 and newer duratec and I believe all the Gen 3 SHO's as well. The new ones (like the 99+) are going to have the lastes AX4N TSB's built in from the factory and all and should mean they will last longer.

Now, another option if to get one that already has a blown tranny that someone is trying to get rid of. Get the car for cheap and make your investment be a new tranny. Jasper will be one of the best in the business. I believe we have some members around here with contacts that build AX4N's with more bullet proof parts and better designed oil flow.

A Gen3 jasper tranny will run you about $3200 installed at an authorized jasper shop. That will include a 3 yr / 75K warrenty.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dant98--I hope the car would be given to me for free...i dont have 3000+ lol. sure wish i did, but ill keep it in mind

Greenstreak--Thanks for the tip

Anyone elses opinion is welcome, and thanks to anyone whos helped out so far.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jan 26 2004, 03:33 PM
Greenstreak--Thanks for the tip

Anyone elses opinion is welcome, and thanks to anyone whos helped out so far.
You're welcome.

If you do end up looking for another Taurus (any year), I would still suggest getting the tranny and rest of the car checked out by a mechanic just to be safe. Just because it's an AX4N, doesn't mean it won't have problems.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill probably get my car in atlanta where there isnt rust, salt, etc. i got a friend whos a mechianic so ill bring him along when i look. i just hope i find one at a good price.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sure hope so...but lets just take this for an example:

SAY that i find a over millage (100+K mi) 2000 taurus . how reliable are they? Are there going to be some high maintence problems? Any other things i should worry about?

Remember...likelihood of that happening is slim...cause i dont have 4K. but if i strike gold...we'll see. June 1 isnt too far away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts