Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a 3.0 v6 but I don't know what which kind. I know hardly anything about cars, so I will have picutres of it tomorrow, I just got it, mostly everything has been replaced, it has 140,000 miles on it, but the engine is clean...I just need some segesstions for fixing and improving it, I just put a new motor mount in it as well, and I think I need to get my tranny fixed or rebuilt. It only goes up to 85 and it's an automatic, I will have pics later today i ment to say, for a better discribsion.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A 1994 Taurus Gl with the 3.0 is definitely the Vulcan OHV 3.0L V6 Engine. 140 HP engine, the most reliable of the Taurus engines. However, your transmission is a different story. If you are already looking at a rebuild, after the rebuild, definitely look into having another transmission cooler installed. Definitely helps siginificantly with the tranny problem. Right now worry about maintenance issues to restore lost power before you start adding more. Change the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter (K&N Filters are awesome) and I would also suggest the Chevron Techron Fuel Injector cleaner. It does a good job cleaning the injectors, restoring any lost power. Oil change and filter change. I'm trying to cover as many bases as I can, anyone want to add to this??

BTW, Welcome to your new home, the TCCA! :banana:

:tcca:
Addiction Comes Standard

·
Registered
712 Posts
You have the Vulcan. A pushrod, 2 valve motor. Base engine for all Taurus/Sable, except for the first couple of years ('86 was the first Taurus) when you could get a 2.5L 4 cylinder.

*edit: D'oh, too slow.

·
Registered
478 Posts
it only goes up to 85?is that when the speedo stops or when ure car stops accelerating?I have a 95 GL with a vulcan engine(exact same car as you, built later on) and it tops out at around 100mph on flat ground......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by MaltaTaurus69@Jun 28 2004, 01:06 AM
A 1994 Taurus Gl with the 3.0 is definitely the Vulcan OHV 3.0L V6 Engine. 140 HP engine, the most reliable of the Taurus engines. However, your transmission is a different story. If you are already looking at a rebuild, after the rebuild, definitely look into having another transmission cooler installed. Definitely helps siginificantly with the tranny problem. Right now worry about maintenance issues to restore lost power before you start adding more. Change the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter (K&N Filters are awesome) and I would also suggest the Chevron Techron Fuel Injector cleaner. It does a good job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A> cleaning the injectors, restoring any lost power. Oil change and filter change. I'm trying to cover as many bases as I can, anyone want to add to this??

BTW, Welcome to your new home, the TCCA!  :banana:

Addiction Comes Standard
Thanks alot, I will need some more money saved up before I can get everything cleaned, fixed, altered, replaced...etc...does anyone have a estimate the cost of replacing..etc.. all of this stuff so I know what I am working with? and I am getting pics of it today to give you a better prespective.

The only thing is, after I get this done, what can I do to make the max speed faster, it's stock so it only goes up to 85 mph...damn :( lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Haste+Jun 28 2004, 10:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Haste @ Jun 28 2004, 10:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MaltaTaurus69@Jun 28 2004, 01:06 AM
A 1994 Taurus Gl with the 3.0 is definitely the Vulcan OHV 3.0L V6 Engine. 140 HP engine, the most reliable of the Taurus engines. However, your transmission is a different story. If you are already looking at a rebuild, after the rebuild, definitely look into having another transmission cooler installed. Definitely helps siginificantly with the tranny problem. Right now worry about maintenance issues to restore lost power before you start adding more. Change the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter (K&N Filters are awesome) and I would also suggest the Chevron Techron Fuel Injector cleaner. It does a good job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A> cleaning the injectors, restoring any lost power. Oil change and filter change. I'm trying to cover as many bases as I can, anyone want to add to this??

BTW, Welcome to your new home, the TCCA!  :banana:

Addiction Comes Standard
Thanks alot, I will need some more money saved up before I can get everything cleaned, fixed, altered, replaced...etc...does anyone have a estimate the cost of replacing..etc.. all of this stuff so I know what I am working with? and I am getting pics of it today to give you a better prespective.

The only thing is, after I get this done, what can I do to make the max speed faster, it's stock so it only goes up to 85 mph...damn :( lol [/b][/quote]
Your car can most probably go past 85 :uptosumpn: Unless there are problems with the tranny. Your speedometer only reads to 85, but that can be easily changed with a Gen 2 SHO Speedo, direct swap. Your speed limiter should be at approx. 105 MPH, but that can be changed with a chip.

Price for a tranny rebuild is generally 1000-1500 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Wires, Cap, Rotor, Plugs, and Air Filter can all be done in a grand total of about maybe 1 - 1 1/2 Hours. Plugs, I think the general consensus is Motorcraft Platinum plugs. I would recommend the Accel Performance Cap and Rotor set, and a K&N Air Filter. Generaly wires can run you a varied amount of prices. Mine were $75 for Magnacore 8.8mm Wires. The Accel Cap and Rotor Set you can get on Ebay for $25-$35. The K&N Air Filter will cost around $40 Brand New, but youll never have to get another air filter, just clean it every once in a while. The Fuel Injector cleaner, you can buy for about $4, you run the car to near empty, and then put the entire bottle in when you fill up, and it will do the cleaning as you drive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yea malta, my rebuild cost me $1125, but its being reubilt for the third time and i haven't had my car for about three weeks now...make sure you find a shop that does nothing but transmissions for the best rebuild possible. If your going to get it rebuilt you might as well have them drop a shift kit, a better one, in it as well, and possible a transmission ultra-cooler, both those together should cost like $100, depending on what kind and where you buy it.

Changin your plugs'll be fun my uncle helped me and the rear ones were the pain, not to mention when puttin them back on the cap i accidently turned it and got the firin order outta wack and had to get that fixed...hehe... But I say go with Bosch all the way accel for the cap and rotor, and you could get an msd ignition.
also, my K&N was like $55 new, but i suppose its different in some place they can be cleaned or just reoiled, process takes like 40 mins...

They're also right about the limiter....i got mine to 105 goin on the highway next to my friend in his contour..

You can also replace your resonator with a glass pack or cut your stock muffler of and put on a turbo muffler, you'll lose quite a bit of weight and gain some noise...
have fun man,

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by TaurusRacerZ9@Jun 28 2004, 02:10 PM
yea malta, my rebuild cost me $1125, but its being reubilt for the third time and i haven't had my car for about three weeks now...make sure you find a shop that does nothing but transmissions for the best rebuild possible. If your going to get it rebuilt you might as well have them drop a shift kit, a better one, in it as well, and possible a transmission ultra-cooler, both those together should cost like $100, depending on what kind and where you buy it.

Changin your plugs'll be fun my uncle helped me and the rear ones were the pain, not to mention when puttin them back on the cap i accidently turned it and got the firin order outta wack and had to get that fixed...hehe... But I say go with Bosch all the way accel for the cap and rotor, and you could get an msd ignition.
also, my K&N was like $55 new, but i suppose its different in some place they can be cleaned or just reoiled, process takes like 40 mins...

They're also right about the limiter....i got mine to 105 goin on the highway next to my friend in his contour..

You can also replace your resonator with a glass pack or cut your stock muffler of and put on a turbo muffler, you'll lose quite a bit of weight and gain some noise...
have fun man,
Yea I know I've heard about rebuil stories and such, I havent had to rebuild yet, the car got a new tranny before I bought it :D

Yea the Vulcan plugs are not fun to get to in the back, front 3 are extremely easy though. I tried those Bosch Platinum +4's, and they made the car idle extremely rough, and it was kinda sluggish, so I quickly got rid of those. The Bosch plugs seem to be a hit or miss, they work for some and suck for others lol. I know sarah was having no problem with them in her 1997 w/ the Vulcan before she got rid of it. Didn't work for me though. Yea both MSD and Accel make Ignition coil for our cars, but they are hard to come buy other than online. I want an accel coil, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My speedometer is from a Gen 2 SHO, so It reads to 140, and Ive seen it go to 105 and then, there comes the limiter :( Ive heard mixed reviews about the glasspacks, again, hit or miss I suppose. The Flowmaster 40 Series DF sounds awesome on the Vulcans. Jason8225 has a sound clip available, truly and awesome sound. However if your gonna do that, keep the stock resonator intact. Again, welcome to the TCCA, and enjoy your stay!
Lucas

·
Registered
90 Posts
yea personally i got the big boy of the gen2's tho, shoulda mentioned i hae the bosch wires, but use conrad plugs. A guy who takes his truck to the drags down here said the fire alot better than anything else he's tried, even the bosch. Exhaust wise, with my turbo 2 thats all i'll do, the headers on mine are significantly large enough from what i've heard...but i dont want to jack with the double edged sword known as back-pressure.... I would like a flowmaster, just to make it loud and piss off more ricers...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have never heard flowmasters on the Essex, maybe I'll have to experiment with that in the future! The police essex is an awesome motor, I've never driven a normal essex, not in a taurus anyway. I drove my friends '93 T-Bird with the Essex, but it felt really sluggish compared to my Taurus. Conrad plugs, where can you get these, and how much? I've never heard of them before, and its about time for spark plugs, maybe some experimentation is in order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
got my stuff at autozone, where i get most of the stuff i need....i think they were conrads,...i have sort term..so...hmm...i'll dig out the box later to find out for sure, its in my garage, but the fire quite nicely..but i remeber they guy sayin somethin about brass somethin or other which provides better firing....i think.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve the proformece of my 3.0L V6 engine, or my car in general...notice I know hardly anything about cars, let alone engines....

·
Registered
470 Posts
First thing I would say it remove your intake silencer. On the Gen 2 Vulcan, it is the weird shaped black box that fits inbetween your airbox and the drivers side fender. It is only attached by 1 screw, and easily comes off. Then run some kind of tubing from the airbox to the fender. After that, it depends on what u want to do. There aren't a lot fo aftermarket parts for our cars, so a lot of stuff done is custom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it seems like you have done a lot of mods to yours...I need someone to help be because of my lack on automotive knowledge, I would need someone who is in New Jersey and save up for more money...anyone near jersey to help me?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.