Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 Taurus, the dome light, windows and mirrors do not work.
In an effort to determine if it is the GEM or something else, I pulled fuse #27 and checked if the wipers and the horn still work - they do.
Normally, I would conclude, that the GEM is ok, and, since the three problem items are all located in the drivers door, that it must be the wiring harness or a bad connection.
However, when searching the web for a list of things which are controlled by the GEM, I get a whole bunch of different answers.

Does anyone her know for sure, exactly which items are tied into the GEM, especially the horn and wipers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jeeeeeze, guys, 52 views, but no reply?

Somebody's gotta know this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
did they all stop at once? I'm thinking it is a compound problem. Start with the relays, bulbs. Oh, is it all of the interior lights? All of the time or only when the door is opened. Can you manually turn them on?

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (krauty @ May 24 2010, 10:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806512
In an effort to determine if it is the GEM or something else, I pulled fuse #27 and checked if the wipers and the horn still work - they do.
Normally, I would conclude, that the GEM is ok, and, since the three problem items are all located in the drivers door, that it must be the wiring harness or a bad connection.
However, when searching the web for a list of things which are controlled by the GEM, I get a whole bunch of different answers.

Does anyone her know for sure, exactly which items are tied into the GEM, especially the horn and wipers?[/b]
I can usually get all the specs I need from Kudzu.com or Search.Yahoo.com. At Kudzu I can get free PDF downloads of what I need and they have what you are looking for. Also, have you checked for bare wires? This happened to me with my back left window. Anyway hope the site helps. Its for Ford Products.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Here is what the GEM controls.
Out side of the Powertrain, EATC, and Restraints System; everything Else.

• Low Coolant Indicator On Cluster
  • Brake Indicator on Cluster
  • DRL - Control
  • Wipers
  • AutoLamps
  • Rear Defrost
  • Interior Lamps(dome)
  • High Beam Indicator only (cluster)
  • Low Coolant indicator
  • Key-in Buzzer
  • Seatbelt indicator only (Cluster)
  • Trunk Pop Relay
  • Power Locks
  • Door Ajar Sensors
  • Door Keyless entry pad
  • Remote Keyless Entry
  • One Touch Down (power window)
  • Air Bag Tone
  • Anti Theft (perimeter Alarm) (SEL, or SE(s) with mods)
  • Lift gate ajar (wagon)
  • Liftgate Pop
  • Accessory Delay signal (accessory that work after engine off, prior to door ajar)
  • Battery Saver Relay signal (accessory that work after engine off, 15 mins) Map lights, vanity mirrors

QUOTE (krauty @ May 24 2010, 12:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806512
On my 2000 Taurus, the dome light, windows and mirrors do not work.[/b]
Does the dome light work when any other door opens? When a passenger door opens? When you roll the dimmer wheel up?
Do your Map lights work?

·
Registered
353 Posts
QUOTE (krauty @ May 24 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806512

Does anyone her know for sure, exactly which items are tied into the GEM, especially the horn and wipers?[/b]
If you start experiencing other issues, say intermittent loss of power steering or no wipers, I'd check the TRS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the list.
However, I don't think it's that straightforward. The items controlled by the GEM seem to vary with each model year.
For example, on the 2000 model year, the horn and wipers have their own fuses/relays, which suggests to me that they are not controlled by the GEM.

In this case, the interior lights died first, then a few weeks later, the windows and mirrors stopped working. Horn and wipers still work.

My first suspect is the wiring harness which goes into the door (broken wires?).
But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the rubber boot (between the door and the body), without cutting it into pieces.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The GEM will not have any HD relays in it but may control the external relays. Mostly it is just inputs and low amp outputs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would alll of these things stop working if the GEM is bad? im having an electrical problem that invlolves wiper blades and rear defrost and other things in my 99 SE. could this also be a problem for me?

Here is what the GEM controls.
Out side of the Powertrain, EATC, and Restraints System; everything Else.

• Low Coolant Indicator On Cluster
  • Brake Indicator on Cluster
  • DRL - Control
  • Wipers
  • AutoLamps
  • Rear Defrost
  • Interior Lamps(dome)
  • High Beam Indicator only (cluster)
  • Low Coolant indicator
  • Key-in Buzzer
  • Seatbelt indicator only (Cluster)
  • Trunk Pop Relay
  • Power Locks
  • Door Ajar Sensors
  • Door Keyless entry pad
  • Remote Keyless Entry
  • One Touch Down (power window)
  • Air Bag Tone
  • Anti Theft (perimeter Alarm) (SEL, or SE(s) with mods)
  • Lift gate ajar (wagon)
  • Liftgate Pop
  • Accessory Delay signal (accessory that work after engine off, prior to door ajar)
  • Battery Saver Relay signal (accessory that work after engine off, 15 mins) Map lights, vanity mirrors

QUOTE (krauty @ May 24 2010, 12:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806512
Does the dome light work when any other door opens? When a passenger door opens? When you roll the dimmer wheel up?
Do your Map lights work?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts