Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, nice. live in michigan. far as i know there not illegal for 2 reasons. 1.) ive seen em around on cars. and 2.) window tint is allowed 4 inches down on front passenger windows and windshield. So i think that makes them legal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles@Sep 20 2004, 10:29 AM
illegal in Virginia. hope you live somewhere where freedom actually does ring.
WTF :huh: Any special reason they're illegal in VA?

My thoughts on the decals: I'm not a fan of the "tribal" style decals. I prefer the ones that have lettering the same as the vehicle instead of random fonts. Maybe that's picky, but I think they look better. But, it is your vehicle, and it only matters what you think (unless you think big wings are cool :lol2: )

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I'd just tell the cop his decals are illegal and drive away with my radar detector on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by 99GBlue@Sep 20 2004, 04:01 PM
WTF :huh: Any special reason they're illegal in VA?
because Virginia is a special state. its the one in which NOTHING is legal. you can't breathe here without breaking some kind of law. the law says actually that the things that are on your windshield are specific, you MUST have your county sticker, inspection sticker, and rear view mirror on your windsheild. if any are missing, you get a ticket. if you have anything else on there whatsoever, you get a ticket, especially if there is writing on it. any kind of text on the windshield is extremely illegal here. why? simple answer, revenue generation. the law exists so that the state can take money from those who break it without knowing that the law exists. because they sure don't advertise it. only way to get a hint is that you never see cars around here with banners. I know people that have been ticketed for it before. really sucks.

as for being from another state. I'm not sure if it applies to windsheild banner, but I would bet it does, but Virginia has this wonderful law that says that their window tinting laws (and some other things) are specific to any car that is in Virginia. no matter where it comes from. you can litterally tint your windows to a perfectly legal amount, and drive around home for 10 years, then happen to be passing through VA on your way to somewhere else, and you will get a ticket. they don't care where you are from. I know a guy in the Tech car club who got a ticket for his exhaust...it was "too loud" for VA. completely legal in his home state of GA, but nope. not here. and he got screwed for it. the exhaust! like he is going to go cutting it up just because he had the misfortune to go to a university in Virginia.

there is a reason that when you leave this state, you see signs that say "welcome to wild wonderful west virginia" or "welcome to North Carolina, enjoy your stay"...and when you enter Virginia the signs say "Radar detectors illegal" "headlights on while using wipers" "seatbnelts manditory" "speed limit 55" really hurts going coming from 70 "speed limit enforced by aircraft" "You are entering the Commonwealth of 'You can't do anyting here, everything's illegal' Virginia. a message from the state cheif popo: your ass is mine."

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Question: Is the blue strip of sunvising on the top of your windshield over the tint limit? I say this because in North Dakota, the Century Code (law books) says that the windshield and the front windows "shall be free of any tinting, except for the top 2 inches of the windshield".

If so, you may be able to throw that right back at them. If not, the state of Virginia may say you need a new windshield, free of the tint.

I've been up too long...I can't think anymore. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well in michigan, if your from another state that has more tint than is legal for this state but its legal in yours, your suppose to be let alone. And as far as i know, oem tint must be legal in every state or something cuz some states might have a law against any tint, yet there are vehicles that come from the dealer with tint, "Privacy Windows" is what ive seen on window stickers on cars being sold. Like what you see on Minivans and suv's. So tint all your windows with limo dark and tell the ociffer it came like that from ford. :lol2:

Well anyways. After i ran through it, everyone has there own taste and so matter of what i like would be the right answer like someone said in the other post i accidently did. And got said that having your cars name as a decal is kinda dumb (though wasnt directly mean like), im not gonna exaclty put mustang decals on my car anywhere, or ford racing cuz i dont drive a ford so could look goofy, or put any brand of anything because I don't have a aftermarket brand of anything worth mentioning, haha. Oh, and i dont mind wings. only depends on what vehicle its on and what it looks like. Any rice with it is fugly. But on a top fuel dragster, well ok, i think i can live with that :p

Now, im bouncing between the mercury ones. Leaning a little bit towards the tribal since i like all the design to it and the mercury font. though cant go wrong with flames. We'll whatever, ill post a pic or 2 when i get it in (i aent telling u what i get, i'll make it a surprise). Thanks for making my post look important by debating in it, :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Sep 20 2004, 04:46 PM
I'd just tell the cop his decals are illegal and drive away with my radar detector on.
LOL! Radar detectors are illegal in the Virginias. Don't rememeber whish Virginia I was in, but I got a warning from a cop who told me to take it down till I'd left the state. He told he he should give me a ticket for it, but he was in a good mood. My radar detector has VG2- thats to hide it from cops, so they don't know you have one. Doesn't work very well if the cop actually sees that you have one... :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something occured to me when i was driving into town today. I couldnt put a windshield banner on if i wanted to. I noticed that the whiper blades come within a couple inches of the top of the windshiled <_< . Ah well, no biggy. I did buy one though, but i decided before i noticed the problem id run into the windshield, that i was gonna put the one i got on on the back window. dunno if i want to top middle or near the bottom. I was thinking about near the bottom, and in just above it get a "I'm not speeding, im qualifying" decal above it since i speed and pass to much. only problem with that is then i couldn't depend on anyone that reports a speeding green sable, they wont know which one of the many around here. dang

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles@Sep 20 2004, 11:15 PM
as for being from another state. I'm not sure if it applies to windsheild banner, but I would bet it does, but Virginia has this wonderful law that says that their window tinting laws (and some other things) are specific to any car that is in Virginia. no matter where it comes from. you can litterally tint your windows to a perfectly legal amount, and drive around home for 10 years, then happen to be passing through VA on your way to somewhere else, and you will get a ticket. they don't care where you are from. I know a guy in the Tech car club who got a ticket for his exhaust...it was "too loud" for VA. completely legal in his home state of GA, but nope. not here. and he got screwed for it. the exhaust! like he is going to go cutting it up just because he had the misfortune to go to a university in Virginia.
Actually, I would think that this is only partially enforcable. If you're on an interstate highway, I think federal law mandates what is and isn't illegal. Granted, the law may say "whatever the state's law is," but I'd like to hope otherwise, else there is no point to separating state roads and the rest, I don't think, other than budgeting for maintenance. Where's acreature when we need him? :)

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Sep 21 2004, 03:56 PM
Actually, I would think that this is only partially enforcable. If you're on an interstate highway, I think federal law mandates what is and isn't illegal. Granted, the law may say "whatever the state's law is," but I'd like to hope otherwise, else there is no point to separating state roads and the rest, I don't think, other than budgeting for maintenance. Where's acreature when we need him? :)
Sorry, Interstate MV operation laws are covered by State Laws. The Feds have no Federal Laws for speeding and such. ;)

As far as the windshield banner, yes, if memory serves, VA has stricter vision obscurity laws than NC. It would have to be looked up.

There is a factory tint line on most cars that are about 4-5 inches down on the windshield. That's usually as far as you can tint the front.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by acreature+Sep 21 2004, 03:17 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (acreature @ Sep 21 2004, 03:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j0rd4n@Sep 21 2004, 03:56 PM
Sorry, Interstate MV operation laws are covered by State Laws. The Feds have no Federal Laws for speeding and such. ;)

As far as the windshield banner, yes, if memory serves, VA has stricter vision obscurity laws than NC. It would have to be looked up.

There is a factory tint line on most cars that are about 4-5 inches down on the windshield. That's usually as far as you can tint the front. [/b][/quote]
Ah, well that's what I get for assuming again. :)

I assumed that their argument for the ticket would be "well if you don't like our roads and accompanying, drive somewhere else," and i was hoping to come back with the "well they're not YOUR roads!" Good thing I wasn't being pulled for that reason and try to get out of it that way.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by mcgilles@Sep 21 2004, 02:53 PM
wipers shouldn't hurt it
You sure, cuz the wipers would be hitting almost all the way to the top of the decal. Wouldnt want the color to start wearing down from it in a couple months or less. Btw, aren't there ones that stick to the inside of the window?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by 96_sab_gs+Sep 22 2004, 08:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (96_sab_gs @ Sep 22 2004, 08:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mcgilles@Sep 21 2004, 02:53 PM
wipers shouldn't hurt it
You sure, cuz the wipers would be hitting almost all the way to the top of the decal. Wouldnt want the color to start wearing down from it in a couple months or less. Btw, aren't there ones that stick to the inside of the window? [/b][/quote]
not completely sure, since I can't have anything on my windshield here. but if you have a good quality vinyl decal it should be able to take that abuse without problem. now if its of poor quality, or it gets damaged and starts to peel, the wipers may just take it off. vinyl decals are designed to take the abuse of being on a car, they can be washed, and waxed over and everything else. plus, remember that your wipers don't exactly scrape ever last particle off the windshield either, its just a soft squeegee to clear off accumulating water.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point. So i'll put my worries to rest. Look at buying one next week. Gotta save some money to reserve Halo 2. :banana:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts