Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got another 98 vulcan with about 120k miles on it, and its in big need of a transmission fluid change. I did some researching around here, but its always mixed.

Its, " dont use this because ford didnt know", or " always use what ford says"...I cant seem to make up my mind. I thought i should ask for your recommendations as to what would be best for my application. I would appreciate it. :unsure:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just got another 98 vulcan with about 120k miles on it, and its in big need of a transmission fluid change. I did some researching around here, but its always mixed.

Its, " dont use this because ford didnt know", or " always use what ford says"...I cant seem to make up my mind. I thought i should as for your recommendations as to what would be best for my application. I would appreciate it. :unsure:

I would definately drop the pan and do a fluid and filter change and then drive 10k miles or 15k and do it again or if you want to be really thorough then do it at 5k instead. After that i would do around 24k mile changes.

If you really wanted to flush it then you could try the at home fluid flush that changes the fluid with the transmissions own pump. What condition is the fluid? is it brown and burnt? is it bubbling at all?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey, i've got approx. the saame situation. I needed a fluid change so I took it to my local ford Dealer. I'm not sure if you had in mind that you wanted to do it yourself, or take it in, but regardless, don't be afraid. I've heard the "horror stories" on this site about getting fluid changed and then the tranny failing. I went with what the dealer said, had it flushed, had the filter changed, and had new fluid put in. WOW what a difference! The car shifts between all gears better, responds more quickly to a downshift, or increase in throttle, and even gets better fuel milage. Nothing has gone wrong with it since, things have only gotten better. Plus if the dealer or a mechanic does the change they can let you know of any potential problems that you may have. ie: metal flakes in the fluid, etc. I had the tranny fluid exchnged with exactly what Ford says you should put in it, and the car has never been better. I highly recomend the change to save your tranny!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definately drop the pan and do a fluid and filter change and then drive 10k miles or 15k and do it again or if you want to be really thorough then do it at 5k instead. After that i would do around 24k mile changes.

If you really wanted to flush it then you could try the at home fluid flush that changes the fluid with the transmissions own pump. What condition is the fluid? is it brown and burnt? is it bubbling at all?

Its BAD, i mean really bad, shifts good though :rolleyes:

Its like a dark chocolate looking fluid lol

Im definitely going to change the pan filter.

what do you reckon i use for oil? Any brands ?

I was thinking of flushing it with cheap oil then top it off with something good, but thats just me thoughts for now :mellow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, i've got approx. the saame situation. I needed a fluid change so I took it to my local ford Dealer. I'm not sure if you had in mind that you wanted to do it yourself, or take it in, but regardless, don't be afraid. I've heard the "horror stories" on this site about getting fluid changed and then the tranny failing. I went with what the dealer said, had it flushed, had the filter changed, and had new fluid put in. WOW what a difference! The car shifts between all gears better, responds more quickly to a downshift, or increase in throttle, and even gets better fuel milage. Nothing has gone wrong with it since, things have only gotten better. Plus if the dealer or a mechanic does the change they can let you know of any potential problems that you may have. ie: metal flakes in the fluid, etc. I had the tranny fluid exchnged with exactly what Ford says you should put in it, and the car has never been better. I highly recomend the change to save your tranny!

:D thanks, makes me feel at ease

·
Registered
211 Posts
Its BAD, i mean really bad, shifts good though :rolleyes:

Its like a dark chocolate looking fluid lol

Im definitely going to change the pan filter.

what do you reckon i use for oil? Any brands ?

I was thinking of flushing it with cheap oil then top it off with something good, but thats just me thoughts for now :mellow:
mobil1 atf is a good but pricey choice. Valeline high mileage atf isnt bad nor is the castrol stuff. basically any name brand at a good price and says it is mercon V. Oh also add a bottle of lubeguard red or silver bottles. Its a great additive that tons of transmission shops use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mobil1 atf is a good but pricey choice. Valeline high mileage atf isnt bad nor is the castrol stuff. basically any name brand at a good price and says it is mercon V. Oh also add a bottle of lubeguard red or silver bottles. Its a great additive that tons of transmission shops use.

Thank you! Im glad i joined this site :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just did the "Change"

Mobil 1 Mercon V @ 126K miles.
There's a noticeable difference in shifting,for the better.
[suctioned everything possible from the Tranny Dipstick Tube,
changed the Filter and Refilled,drove a week,and then Suctioned
out again and refilled.]

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
You might be able to extend the service life of oil change intervals with a transmission cooler. I'm not a 100% sure if the Vulcan configuration has a tube cooler? Or not? My Sable has the tube cooler + radiator cooler + B&M Supercooler.

I changed the tranny fluid last weekend with full synthetic Mercon V (Redline D4).

Monsoon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might be able to extend the service life of oil change intervals with a transmission cooler. I'm not a 100% sure if the Vulcan configuration has a tube cooler? Or not? My Sable has the tube cooler + radiator cooler + B&M Supercooler.

I changed the tranny fluid last weekend with full synthetic Mercon V (Redline D4).

Monsoon
Not sure about that. Im gonna tackle this on this coming weekend. I guess we'll see how it goes :mellow: thanks all for your inputs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.