·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I just scored a deal on a pair
The fronts for my '06 (ASTL1 & ASTL2)
$49 each on closeout from Rockauto
The rears are $165 each, and still have the inferior too soft OEM calibration

One's got a slight chip in the paint on one of the springs, let's see if they'll replace it

Now what do I do for the rear?
I really don't want to deal with a spring compressor in this heat, nearly killed myself last time

Would a Taxi package unit work well?
KYBs been good to me in the past, how's their quick struts?

At 64k, might as well throw on a new pair of sway bar links right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you mean by Quick Struts the units with the spring included I think you got a great deal. I have changed out the rear struts but not the front. I believe if the current struts are from the factory you will find them too long to remove without dropping the subframe, drop one side at a time. I don't know why anyone would not replace the struts with the integral spring included. I don't know if I would worry about a slight chip in the paint on the spring. Transferring springs from the old assembly to the new is relatively dangerous. If you are changing struts do the spring as well. On my rear struts I used KYB struts with the spring. The only pitfall on the rear is the pinch bolt which if you are in the rust belt can be difficult to remove. I would definitely change out the sway bar end links. My originals are plastic, so if yours are plastic probably original . You seem to be on the right path.

Scott

\..

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
They're the best, that's what I think of them. They will by far last the longest of any option you can get. Normally they're hard to find anymore but Rockauto seems to have found an old warehouse shelf full of them. For the rear, if you can't get the same deal on the Motorcraft ones, I really like the KYB quickstruts. Skip the spring compressor, that **** sucks. Done it too many times. New end links is a good idea while you're there, and pick up some new bolts for the rear ones as well since they like to break on removal.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I had a shop do my Sable '03 in a rush as I broke a front spring and it was leaning bad. I let them use what was available as I needed the car back. Monroe ready strut, and the ride height is ~2" high. Won't align properly.
-chart-

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a shop do my Sable '03 in a rush as I broke a front spring and it was leaning bad. I let them use what was available as I needed the car back. Monroe ready strut, and the ride height is ~2" high. Won't align properly.
-chart-
Propably a control arm out of whack due to the broken spring and the unusual stress.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They're the best, that's what I think of them. They will by far last the longest of any option you can get. Normally they're hard to find anymore but Rockauto seems to have found an old warehouse shelf full of them. For the rear, if you can't get the same deal on the Motorcraft ones, I really like the KYB quickstruts. Skip the spring compressor, that **** sucks. Done it too many times. New end links is a good idea while you're there, and pick up some new bolts for the rear ones as well since they like to break on removal.
The spring compressing is not that difficult. I put some Bilsteins on a friend's 2003 and replaced everything but the spring. Minus the compressing, it took about 25 minutes per side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Monroe Quick struts are the best, Police issue, and by far the best springs I can out handle a lot of these rice burners, motocraft springs snap!

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Pic not mine but, I have 4 Bulls break springs. It is not nice. Last one last December '03 Sable, not a rusty car, but spring had a rust spot in the middle and it broke in the middle. All my broken springs broke in a rusty spot where the plastic coating failed.
Never gonna re use a spring.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the same deal about a month ago. One had a little crappy paint around the top bolt but I figure it'll be fine. My 3 year old Moog quick struts were in really crappy shape and Amazon actually took them back! I put KYBs on the rear but can't really say how they'll hold up because they're only a week old, lol. Rides nice though. My front stab links (Moog 3yrs old) were sloppy and wouldn't hold grease, Rock Auto warrantied them out. My rear stab links were quite rusty (also Moog 3yrs old), ran to O'Reilly's and bought more. Heads up, there's a delay on lots of stab links right now, at least in the southern states, so plan ahead for better selection. Also torsion bar bushings while you're in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only problem with the 07 i got for my son(now has 98k miles and is super clean) is that sagged rear end . I hate the idea of putting loaded struts in it as the strut itself seems fine.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Pic of rear spring. Bottom coil broken but still in place. Sag. If springs do not rust, they will not sag. If you do not exceed the "elastic limit" of metal, it will not weaken with age. Once surface rust sets in, they they loose their "spring rate". Most breaks are in the rusty area where they have weak area. My experience the fail is the bottom coil and it stays in place so no symptom except sag.
Pic of '03 Sable sedan.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,402 Posts
I too got OEM quick struts and also OEM stab links for both the front and back from rockauto, I'm satisfied with the results, it has original ride quality, which is what I was shooting for.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Monroe Quick struts are the best, Police issue, and by far the best springs I can out handle a lot of these rice burners, motocraft springs snap!
All I use in my '99 Taurus wagon, Sable, '03 Ion and '09 Malibu. Will use them in our '17 Edge. I got a deal on RockAuto for the struts and the springs from Moog, cheaper then the quick strut this time.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The spring compressing is not that difficult. I put some Bilsteins on a friend's 2003 and replaced everything but the spring. Minus the compressing, it took about 25 minutes per side.
I didn't say it was difficult, it's just a nuisance unless you have one of those bench compressors that a shop would have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts