Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know? I'm curious if I would be able to afford one if they made them today.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If you go to http://carpoint.msn.com it will give you MSRPs of almost any car from 1988 on.

I looked up the 1999 Taurus SHO and its MSRP was $29,000. I am not sure if that was the base price or not. I am sure now, with cars being more expensive, it would be around $34,000 today.

Not bad, for what you get :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
$29,000 is correct. That is with everything. In "96" it was less at about $26 something. Then add all options and it was at $29,000 and $550 for destination. In "99" it was all standard and so it was at $29,550 with destination. Each year they made things more standard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who buys new ?? let someone else put on the first 15k, then buy it for half price, thats what I have given for my SHO's :banana:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
That's crazy that a SHO cost that much in '99. I wouldn't think that it would be that expensive.

fordaspiregv-
I'm sure you were just making a generalization, but the inflation rate is really low right now, so the increase in price probably would have only been about $1500-$2000. Obviously, as more options become standard, the standard price goes up, but it definitely wouldn't have gone up that much from 99'-04'.

JR

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either way I couldn't afford a new one. If I had $30k for a car I don't think it would be a Taurus unless it was seriously bad a** with a 4.6 v-8 and 5 or 6 speed manual, 18" wheels, 13" front Brembos, and all the suspension work one could ask for. Maybe used but I still think it would take a couple of years before it was under $20k.

What about Gen 2's?

Edit: Gen 2's about $24k in '94.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
We paid almost $34k for our 1997 with about 3 miles on it when new! :blink: Talk about dealer mark up!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had put this in another post, but it is relevant here... I saw a Gen3 SHO on a Ford lot with the price $7995 on the window :blink: . I have no idea what year it was or how many miles. It looked like it was in excellent shape from what I could see of it.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by WillieSHOme@Jun 9 2004, 08:27 AM
$29,000 is correct. That is with everything. In "96" it was less at about $26 something. Then add all options and it was at $29,000 and $550 for destination. In "99" it was all standard and so it was at $29,550 with destination. Each year they made things more standard.
Yep. My '99, including a 5/75 ESP warranty was $29,600 out-the-door. That pricing was standardized in '98-'99 ('98s were a few $$$ less), but '96-'97 could be run up over $30k by the time all of the options were added (as someone mentioned). That was way overpriced for the market and competition at the time, IMHO, as GTPs could be bought for about $24K out-the-door.

$29K in '98-'99 is more like $35K today based on basic inflation rates and added content for the newer regs.

My '89 was a bare-bones car, and the sticker was just over $22k. In today's dollars, that translates into a car that would also be in the mid-$30K range, and a fully-optioned '89 would be a couple grand more. They were not cheap cars back then....that was higher than a Mustang GT or an IROC. A fully-loaded standard Taurus was just over $17K back then, IIRC.

Across all of the cars that I've owned over the years, they are about evenly split between being bought new or used. There are advantages to each. This next time around, I'm going "new" again, after deciding against going "used" (and spending about the same dollars). It's all what you want and expect.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like saving money on used cars but unless you know the person selling the car you might as well go to Vegas with your money. I bought an '01 Wagon with 56k on it and traded it in about 6 months later on a new '03 wagon. I've never had any problems with new cars because I know they're maintained and cared for. The point of this thread was just get an idea of what it would cost if they came out with a new SHO. I know it won't happen but one can always wish.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It ain't a SHO-car, but I just looked at the paperwork on my 1995 Sable LS Wagon, which is loaded about to the hilt. I paid 24 large ones for that car. But, it was loaded (Digi-dash, 3.8, climate control, leather, premium sound, ABS, all the funky toys that run the bill way up.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts