Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 taurus when I apply pressure to the gas pedal the car makes a knocking sound as if something stuck and hitting underneath the hood

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
With the hood up see if the engine is moving too much. Not sure what engine you have but could be a bad bushing in the torque strut if it is a Vulcan Maybe a bad motor mount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
get an auto stethoscope

Pittsburgh Automotive
Mechanic's Stethoscope

(512)Write a Review
Identify bumps and squeaks with this automotive stethoscope
$499

use it around with the engine running, may have to be creative to get to the block

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a Mazda that did this it was the tranmission monut. If your hearing noise when braking kinda slow and press the gas from a stop likely one of your engine or transmission mounts is done.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Been a lot of suggestions for motor mounts and such. But not a good description on how. What i have done takes two
people. one in drivers seat, one with hood up in front of the car(off to the side in case of over eager helper) Have person in car start car up. Put brake on hard and hold. Put car in drive and give it some gas (not too much). then have person looking under the hood look to see how much the motor moves (or where any noise is). repeat the same process by putting the gear shift in reverse and giving it gas. If the mounts are real bad, you will physically see the motor flopping around when you do this.

I had a strange one when i was trying to revive my 98. changed the driver side broken strut and took the knuckle off.
put it back together with difficulty. started the car and had a immediate grinding noise. darn.
It had me going for awhile. post mortum showed when i put the knuckle back on, the CV joint had slipped out of the shell and was outside the shell. could not see that because the boot was still on. when i forced the knuckle back together, it pushed the whole engine to the passenger side . Still got the car in parts on the driveway until it warms up. I've done so much to this car but stubborn me keep trying to get it running and driving so i get more money out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts