Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
As some of you know, I am getting ready to fix a P0301 code on my 2001 bull (thread here). I'm flying back into Florida on Wednesday and planned to work on this AFTER all the cooking for TGiving.

So, my roommate is throwing a BBQ and wants to move the car. It won't turn over :angry:. I had just replaced the battery after hearing the damn thing hissing when I was back there in September. So the battery is just about 2 months old.

I grant that the car hasn't been cranked over as it probably should have. I know that the roommate moved it about a month ago and he said it was still idling and driving really rough.

I guess my bull really misses me. Anyways, what could be the cause for not turning over?

He had me on the phone while he tried. I can hear the starter clicking away like mad. He couldn't tell if the fuel pump was priming or not. From what he was telling me, the car has been parked at the end of the driveway (so with the nose at a slight incline) since he moved it a month ago.

Could the battery be dead already? Could the fuel pump have just gone like that? Or could all the gas just slowly have fed backwards and the fuel system is just not primed correctly?

Wanted to get some things to look at. Because without a running engine system, I will not be able to test the coil/plug/wire for proper function to remedy the P0301 code.

Thanks again TCCA!

~matt

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey guys,
As some of you know, I am getting ready to fix a P0301 code on my 2001 bull (thread here). I'm flying back into Florida on Wednesday and planned to work on this AFTER all the cooking for TGiving.

So, my roommate is throwing a BBQ and wants to move the car. It won't turn over :angry:. I had just replaced the battery after hearing the damn thing hissing when I was back there in September. So the battery is just about 2 months old.

I grant that the car hasn't been cranked over as it probably should have. I know that the roommate moved it about a month ago and he said it was still idling and driving really rough.

I guess my bull really misses me. Anyways, what could be the cause for not turning over?

He had me on the phone while he tried. I can hear the starter clicking away like mad. He couldn't tell if the fuel pump was priming or not. From what he was telling me, the car has been parked at the end of the driveway (so with the nose at a slight incline) since he moved it a month ago.

Could the battery be dead already? Could the fuel pump have just gone like that? Or could all the gas just slowly have fed backwards and the fuel system is just not primed correctly?

Wanted to get some things to look at. Because without a running engine system, I will not be able to test the coil/plug/wire for proper function to remedy the P0301 code.

Thanks again TCCA!

~matt
Bad fuel pump wouldn't cause it not to crank. The battery could easily be dead after a month. I've never seen a bad starter click repeatedly
and fuel pressure wouldn't cause it to not crank.

A fast click likely indicates what the above post mentioned. If your buddy didn't think to swap the battery/boost it in the first place, he doesn't deserve that bbq! :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fast clicking under the hood is the starter solenoid. It's indicative of a dead battery. And yes, it very well could be dead even after sitting for a short period of time.

All cars have a small draw on the battery at all times. So if you let it sit long enough, it will drain the battery.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies! I'm hoping it is just a drained battery. This was the problem in September and led to the replacement of a 3 yr old battery with one that was only a month old (manufactured 8/10, sat in AZ for less than a month, purchased by me on 9/10)

I guess in this day and age, with all the modern improvements, I would expect to have a battery last longer than a month without cranking. But if you all say this is possible, then that makes me glad to hear it.

When I get back, I'll hook up some jumper cables and turn it over (if the roomie hasn't done so already).

will just letting the car idle for 30 mins or so do good for recharging the battery? Doesn't the car have to be at something like 2000 RPMs before the battery actually get's any recharge from the alternator? If not, then what is the reason for the 2000 RPM's when AZ tests the Alternator/Battery recharging schema?

If the 2000 RPM thing is true (above statement) then I think a trickle charger would be better (and cheaper - not wasting fuel) for recharging the battery and giving it new life. What do you all think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Flat dead battery can waste an alternator, but one that causes the starter to click would be OK to jump off, if you intend to drive about 30 min.

Like sheila said, proper charge is 1 to 2 amps overnight.

AZ test is two phases - idle and 2000 RPM. It also puts a load on the car to read amps produced and the ability of the alt. to carry the load of the car, while having enough extra to charge the battery.

A good alt. should produce 40-50% of it's rated output at idle.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The roommate just called. Said he hooked up his truck battery to my car battery and still no dice. He used the same equipment that he just used a week ago to give someone else a jump.

So, will I be replacing this battery? He said it still just kept clicking but didn't turn over. :(

Oh bull, why do you do this to me?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks. at this point I'll just wait till i'm back on Wednesday night. If AZ is still open then I'll do it. If not, I'll wait till Friday when I have the mechanic stopping by to take a quick look.

:(

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys and gals! Happy Turkey Day!

So, I got back yesterday and tried to start the car. No go, however the battery does not seem that weak. I have no official test, because when I got in, AZ was already closed for the night.

Here's the thing I wanted the opinion on. When I turn to start, I do not hear the fuel pump priming up. I'm pretty sure that I used to hear this. I've changed my fuel filter several times over the life of the car. Never had an issue. It's almost like fuel is not getting to the engine.

Since last night, I have pushed the car onto somewhat level ground. In hopes of fuel being able to situate itself evenly through the system (not rolling back due to gravity).

Let me know what you think? I have disconnected and reconnected the inertia switch. But is there a fuse that may have blown as well?

Thanks and happy turkey day!

~matt

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Maybe one of the cables are bad, or loose. Check all the connections, even the connections at the starter. Have your friend try cranking the car while you wiggle the cables, and see if anything changes. If it won't crank even with good jumper cables, then it could be bad cables, or last, a bad starter.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
it's the fuel pump :(

The inertia switch get's power, but the pump is not providing any pressure to the engine.

Can you all PLEASE recommend the best least expensive fuel pump that is on RockAuto?

Specs: 2001 Ford Taurus U

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I used a Napa lifetime warranty fuel pump on my old '93 Taurus, never failed again. My Dad's old 95 GMC work truck went though 3 fuel pumps in 150k, until he also put in a Napa lifetime fuel pump, that one lasted to 334k, when stepmom totaled the truck. Those trucks had very troublesome fuel pumps, due to a poor design, but the Napa one lasted the longest.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Posting Back - FIXED!

I realize the thread title is not that descriptive, but wanted to post back with EVERYTHING that has happened since then.

The mechanic and I got the car onto level ground. The car would not turn over, but the battery was strong and the starter was clicking (both signs that the battery and starter WERE NOT the problem).

We both moved on to fuel pressure. How'd HE do this? He unscrewed the little cap over the schrader pressure valve at the passenger side of the fuel rail on top of the engine. He asked me to turn it over, sure enough, not much came out. Again, we could have tested it better, but he was convinced at this point something more serious was wrong.

From here, we moved to the back side of the car. I had noticed during this whole ordeal that the fuel pump did not give that typical 'priming sound' that we all can usually hear inside the cabin when you turn the key to 'On'. I showed him the cut off switch in the trunk.

He hooked up a multimeter but it was hard getting a ground. At first nothing until he had me crank the car. He finally got some sort of reading. I'm not sure if the electrical impulse is only sent to the fuel pump through this switch at ignition start or if he just happened to get a good ground. Either way, we saw voltage getting to the fuel cut-off switch (sorry, blanking on the technical name right now of this switch and did not see the specific voltage since I was cranking the car over).

So, what did all this tell us? Well, simply put, the fuel pump was not working. He ended up replacing this for me at $300 for the part (I bought off of RockAuto). The fuel filter was replaced as well, since that is the recommendation and really, it's not that expensive to do.

After doing all this AND adding some fuel, the car started right up! It still had the rough idle (the P0301 code shown AND updated in this thread). We moved onto solving that next.

The moral of this story? If your bull isn't turning over then check the following:
- battery (hook up multimeter and see that 12.4+ volts exist in the battery = enough to start the engine
- starter (should be clicking)
- fuel pressure
- listen for fuel pump priming when key is turned to 'on'

Hope this helps someone in the future!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts