Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all,

So after I got off of work today I got in my car, turned it on and noticed that the Low Coolant light came on. I immediately turned it off and checked the coolant overflow tank, which showed no coolant. I opened up the hood and looked down near the pulleys and noticed that there was a straight looking hose near the bottom passenger side of the engine that looked to be leaking.

After filling the car back up and driving home, I let the car cool down and then felt the hose, which wasn't actually leaking at the time, but I did notice after feeling it that part of the hose seemed to have weakened and actually turned slimy (not from coolant, but the actual hose itself). I think the hose is really old and definitely needs a replacement, but I can't figure out what hose this is.

Like I mentioned before, the hose seems to be straight and about six inches long, and it located near the lower pulleys near the driver's side front.

Anyone know what coolant hose this is? I found one on RockAuto, but I want to make sure it's the right one.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
What year car? What engine?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same part go on me when my expansion tank exploded! The Napa guy called it a heater hose! It cost me $28 plus tax for the hose and a serious challenge to get it in. Knuckles got scraped. But it's been fine since. If you take a picture of it and take it to a parts place or a dealer and show them, they will be able to tell you the correct name of the hose. In Taurus's I have been investigating the phenomenom that every time the expansion tank overflows or regurgitates this hose is the major cause and has to be replaced as well as the tank and or cap. I have done this on over ten vehicles between the years 1998-2003. Eight were culprits. There seems to be something about the original material of the hose that gums up and starts to crumble/disentigrate. It does this because some coolants are strong/abrasive and it breaks down the rubber of the hose. I knew one guy that purchased some heavy duty hose from Ace Hardware and made his own and it works! Materials cost him .69cents a foot! Go figure!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I took the car by my on-base Auto Service Center and they sourced a Korean replacement hose for me. It cost me all of $30 for the hose and labor!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts