Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to change the antifreeze in my 2002 Vulcan. Here's a little antifreeze history. I bought the car in 2007 and the car had non-descript color antifreeze - I couldn't tell if it were greenish yellow or yellowish green. Somewhere I found a chart that said to use green antifreeze in that model which I did. Now it's time to do it again and I was wondering what the current thinking is about antifreeze. I'm also seeing a little brownish discoloration in the expansion tank. Any recommendations on whether I need a flush or will repeated flushings with water suffice. Also, do I need to add a can of rust inhibitor after replacing the antifreeze?

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
The coolant to use is suppose to be green in color. However there is a yellow long life coolant that can be used in it's place. The yellow coolant is compatible and can be mixed with green and red coolant. Either way if you're changing the coolant flush the system out by running water through it. Also if you feel like it, a bottle of coolant flush wouldn't hurt it either. When all done that refill the system, run the engine till the thermostat open and allows the air to come out. The top of the cooling system. After the engine cools down, check the coolant level.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
... - I couldn't tell if it were greenish yellow or yellowish green...

Thanks, Tom
Someone at one point had probably changed the fluid and used Prestone. It is somewhere between yellow and green like you are describing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is Prestone an acceptable brand of antifreeze?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts