Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kenwood KAC-X810D amp and 2 eXcelon KFC-XW1225dB 12's run with all 4 voice coils in parellel.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Feb 6 2004, 12:55 AM
but we wont get into it too bad
You guys always get crazy with this.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well just to share my experience i'll post what my situation is. I myself have a capacitor and it doesn't completely cure the headlight dimming. It did help out in combination with my amp somewhat but DID NOT eliminate it. I fortunately didnt spend a whole lot on the cap so it doesn't matter that it didnt cure the problem completely. Also having a digital volt meter in the trunk is kinda cool IMO. I have a 1 farad cap and my amp is 460 watts RMS, they reccomend 1 farad per 1000 watts rms or something like that. I would possibly try getting an optima battery or something like that, I however won't be doing that because I had recently replaced the battery (like 1-2 years ago) with a diehard gold. So there you have it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got the answer to shut y'all up.

Caps are like HAI everyone says they do nothing for your performance but they still look good in your setup.

There you have it now no one needs to go into the whole issue again.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Feb 6 2004, 09:00 AM
I got the answer to shut y'all up.

Caps are like HAI everyone says they do nothing for your performance but they still look good in your setup.

There you have it now no one needs to go into the whole issue again.
I think it would work better if you put a capacitor in your intake and a HAI on your amp.

·
Registered
746 Posts
haha. i already said im not gonna get into it, some people just seem to have a hard time belieiving... or maybe they want to see us get into it.

if shooff wants to hear both sides of the story he can do a search, ive already posted my input on other threads. so people can keep looking for an e-argument, or they can look at the facts already presented elsewhere

edit: if he doesent want to hear why caps dont work, or why they do work and he just wants a suggestion, here is mine...

alumapro 50 farad C.A.P. or one of the biggest batcaps you can find. .5 farad, 1 farad, or 2 farad caps wont do much.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Feb 6 2004, 09:59 AM
haha. i already said im not gonna get into it, some people just seem to have a hard time belieiving... or maybe they want to see us get into it.

if shooff wants to hear both sides of the story he can do a search, ive already posted my input on other threads. so people can keep looking for an e-argument, or they can look at the facts already presented elsewhere

edit: if he doesent want to hear why caps dont work, or why they do work and he just wants a suggestion, here is mine...

alumapro 50 farad C.A.P. or one of the biggest batcaps you can find. .5 farad, 1 farad, or 2 farad caps wont do much.
You know there was a really long thread on Carsound.com's forums a few years back and Richard Clark proved why the Alumapro 50 Farad cap is no good. Had to do with the ESR (equivalent series resistance) of it. He went a long way to prove that caps don't do crap even though he was the first to use one in competition way back in the '80's.

All the research I did proved the same thing. If you want your headlights to stop dimming put the cap on the headlights not the amp in the trunk.

And another thing, a cap won't reduce the strain on an alternator.

Finally, this is my last post on this subject. I didn't come here to argue electronics (although I am an EE by trade).

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
AlumaPro = carbon alloy = higher internal resistance = slower discharge and recharge = similar to adding a decent battery

most others = aluminum (ironically) electrolyte = practically nil internal resistance = mega fast discharge and recharge = more like a noise filter than a power source

***my opinion = not worth sh*t to most of you = waste of bandwidth = I'll shut up now!

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Do you still have a stock (or comparable) battery? If so you may want to check out a battery such as an Optima.

Also, what gauge wires are you running and all that?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by 1fast97@Feb 6 2004, 06:19 PM
You know there was a really long thread on Carsound.com's forums a few years back and Richard Clark proved why the Alumapro 50 Farad cap is no good. Had to do with the ESR (equivalent series resistance) of it. He went a long way to prove that caps don't do crap even though he was the first to use one in competition way back in the '80's.

All the research I did proved the same thing. If you want your headlights to stop dimming put the cap on the headlights not the amp in the trunk.

And another thing, a cap won't reduce the strain on an alternator.

Finally, this is my last post on this subject. I didn't come here to argue electronics (although I am an EE by trade).
i know that the alumapro's dont discharge/charge quickly at all, infact they are downright slow compared to a cap. the only reason i would suggest it is because of the huge capacitance, like 50 or 100 farads. with that kind of charge and the slower rate of discharge, it is like a second battery more than it is a cap

and shooff--take heed to what alex said. you said that none sounded better than $100, upgrade your big three under the hood, and your power wire. should help alot

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
OK.... here is a good rule of thumb

If your headlights are dimming..and it annoys you...then,

>= 500watts RMS ... you need at least a 1/2 fared cap..
else <= 1000watts RMS ... you need at least 1 fared cap..

and thats all i can say

Edit: I think i read those figures being root mean square (RMS)... if not.. its peak figures sorry if i confused ya.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If your headlights are dimming, here's a great solution:

Check the voltage on your battery and make sure it's up.

For the power and ground wires use the biggest gauge possible. Doublecheck your ground. If it's grounded on a painted part of the chassis, sand that part down and ground onto the bare metal.

Then if you don't need a new battery, and this works, send all remaining funds to me. kthxbye

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Feb 7 2004, 12:59 AM

and thats all i can say

Edit: I think i read those figures being root mean square (RMS)... if not.. its peak figures sorry if i confused ya.
how many farads do i need for 7000 watts RMS?? still 1 farad?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Feb 7 2004, 12:09 AM-->QUOTE (hoss @ Feb 7 2004, 12:09 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-afi292
@Feb 7 2004, 12:59 AM

and thats all i can say

how many farads do i need for 7000 watts RMS?? still 1 farad? [/b]
NO, you just need to get your head checked.
Im only messing with you, its ok if you're a little nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Feb 7 2004, 12:09 AM-->QUOTE (hoss @ Feb 7 2004, 12:09 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-afi292
@Feb 7 2004, 12:59 AM

and thats all i can say

how many farads do i need for 7000 watts RMS?? still 1 farad? [/b]
OMG you'd need a mega hyper white ultra threading Fared LED OUTPUT capacitor :keekles: ^__^

1 - 20 of 23 Posts