Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete n00b when it comes to complicated engine or trans stuff and i wanted to know that could be done to my Vulcan. i know that there is a small list somewhere on here but i know that there is more that can be done than that.

is it able to be tuned with a programmable tuner? cuz chips just are not going to cut it!

cams?

intake mods?

exhaust mods?

any hybrid engine parts (no. not like the Prius)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (SurHaxalot @ May 23 2009, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727454
I'm a complete n00b when it comes to complicated engine or trans stuff and i wanted to know that could be done to my Vulcan. i know that there is a small list somewhere on here but i know that there is more that can be done than that.

is it able to be tuned with a programmable tuner? cuz chips just are not going to cut it!

cams?

intake mods?

exhaust mods?

any hybrid engine parts (no. not like the Prius)[/b]

Dude, you totally gotta search. This has been brought up 5 million times.

1. Yes, OBDII vulcans can be tuned by paul. Message SHOZ123 for pricing.

2. Cams available through Morena V6 Racing. http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=36
They also have Stroker Kits roller rockers (which are recommended) ported UIM and LIM if you're too scared to do it yourself, and 60 MM tbs.
Warning. Its pricy.

3. Intake mods listed above. UIM/LIM Porting, 60MM TB... 3" CAI (for sound. Stock air box flows as good)

4. Exhaust mods are gonna consist Headers, High Flow cats (Available Here), Full CATBACK or just replace the stock muffler with a flowmaster or magnaflow becuase the stock muffler SUCKS at flow.

If you do all of this.. You are gonna need a tune.

But dont expect a giant horse increase... its not gonna give much.. and a tune wont give you 30HP.. more like 5-10 figuratively.. however driving performance will be noticable.. it will handle much better than stock.

If you want to make big power you're gonna need to go FI or NOS. Which since you mentioned "Are a noob" i wouldnt try it without someone experienced helping you. Matter of fact.. alot of this stuff requires knowledge about inner workings.. and if your car is your DD i wouldn't try it.

I've been putting alot of thought into this.. because I'm actually doing it to my vulcanator, but however. My transmission just didnt want to cooperate. SO i would recommend having an extra transmission ready.

·
Registered
290 Posts
NOS helps. But if cops find you on the juice, well, don't get caught!

Happy homeworking!

Modding a Taurus would not be from rational thinking. I would call it more a passion for a great car and fine tuning it to meet everyday needs, or wants.

Use some search tool and you will be well on your way to discovering the way of the Taurus, young Grasshopper.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Enzo731 @ May 23 2009, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727490

Happy homeworking!

Modding a Taurus would not be from rational thinking. I would call it more a passion for a great car and fine tuning it to meet everyday needs, or wants.

Use some search tool and you will be well on your way to discovering the way of the Taurus, young Grasshopper.[/b]
Who said i was rational :lol2:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Underdrive pulley, Magnfaflow High Flow Y-pipe, p/p headers, stroker kit...check out morenav6 like the previous guy said.

And check out SHOSource.com

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ May 24 2009, 04:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727562
Underdrive pulley, Magnfaflow High Flow Y-pipe, p/p headers, stroker kit...check out morenav6 like the previous guy said.

And check out SHOSource.com[/b]
Forgot about the UDP. Thanks fdogg!

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 23 2009, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727491
QUOTE (Enzo731 @ May 23 2009, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727490

Happy homeworking!

Use some search tool and you will be well on your way to discovering the way of the Taurus, young Grasshopper.[/b]
Who said i was rational :lol2:
[/b][/quote]
Indeed that was the point that I wanted to get across! ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'd recommend the alternator overdrive pulley (from a Ranger) just to make up the alt power once after you install the UDP :) Look into Paul Nimz tune and Morana roller rockers. These combo will open that Spock up.

I kinda there was an ODP for Duratecs

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Dropping a SHO motor in it = more gain then all those mods = cheaper ;p

but if your bent on modding the Vulcan, go ahead!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
wow i had no idea they made all that stuff? i assume for all the 3.0 v6 applications listed it means vulcan though right? damn ill order cams right now!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sooo.... so far no tuning options for my year slo?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (SurHaxalot @ May 26 2009, 02:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727943
sooo.... so far no tuning options for my year slo?[/b]
Since you're good with electronics, you might wanna check out MegaSquirt and other projects that involve ECU tuning.. but i wouldnt do this on your DD.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Tons of SHO's use TwEEcEr's, not sure if it works at all on the SLO's though.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 26 2009, 06:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727972
The code on the ECU has to be supported, you've got to take the time to look stuff up if you wanna play the game, can't just have everyone hand you everything.[/b]
yes sur ill start diggin!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts