Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everybody has their favorites when it comes to buying new car audio and people love to shove it down your throat that this brand sucks and their favorite brand is the best. I know these people and they don't help at all. I have a mediocre set up in my 02 Taurus SE right now with an Infinity mono amp (450watts) pushing two 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch Series P1's (300 watts combined) and a Phase Linear 7" flip out LCD touch screen DVD/CD head unit that pushes my factory speakers. Its been great over the last year or so but to quote Tim "The Toolman" Taylor.... I need "MORE POWER!"

I've been researching like a mad man over what to buy, and I do this with every big purchase I make now. I wish I would have been this diligent a year ago when I bought my semi-boring set up I have now and just waited for something better. So I go to the crutchfield website and I narrow down my search to the single deck that has everything I want in it and it has just some great features. It is the Kenwood KDC-MP535U model. I am 95% positive that this is the deck I want unless somebody can really tell me that Kenwood just makes some bad stuff and convince me that there is something else out there that can do everything this Kenwood can. I believe Kenwood is a name brand to trust and they don't make crap.

That was an easy choice to make for the deck, but what about interior speakers? I'm so lost on this cause I don't know who are the best in the business for interior speakers. Infinity? Kenwood? Pioneer? The list could go on with others but I need some help and then after that what size should I go with? 5x7 or a 6x8? Then I found adapter plates to put in 6x9's and I've been reading that they make speakers that go 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, and even 5-way. I've read about what those mean as far as them having more than one tweeter or midrange and so on, but what's the best? I was thinking about putting 6x8's in the doors. Then for the rear deck when I was installing my subs I decided to pull down the carpeting inside my trunk to get a look at my speakers from underneath and found that there is actually 3 holes cut out in the rear deck, which sparked my imagination to put two 6x9's in the two outside holes with the adapter plates and then put another 6x8 in the middle. Or if the center hole doesn't work out, would two 6x9's be a good idea or just stick with two more 6x8's? And are 5x7's even worth it in any position in the car?

My main thing with my music is clarity, I have to have crisp clean sound from my speakers cause there is nothing I hate more then hearing somebody's nasty car rolling down the street full of distortion and basically CRAP! If you have that system clean it up or just unplug it!

Then there are amplifiers, I need a respected brand that doesn't over rate their products, I understand RMS and wattage and running the correct ohm load, but I need something that will deliver for me and since I am anal I need to find a mono amp and a multi-channel amp from the same brand and model line cause they have to match, I know it sounds stupid but it needs to be this way.

The subs I'm not so worried about, I want two Kicker 07CVR 102 10" subs in a sealed box. You can't really argue with Kicker unless you're getting MTX, but I want those CVR's really bad. With those two 10" subs I'd have 800 watts RMS, which would be doubling my current set up and then add 200 watts more. And going from 12" subs to 10" subs will give me that response I really want.

This is the set up I have put together so far, please tell me what you think...

Deck - Kenwood KDC-MP535U

Interior Speakers - Pioneer TS-A6880R 6x8 4-way (4 all around)

Multi Channel Amp - Kenwood KAC-8403 4-Channel

Mono Amp - Kenwood KAC-9103D 1-Channel

Subs - Kicker 07CVR 102 10" (two in a sealed box)

Thanks for reading this in advance.

:tcca: :starwars: :tcca:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it would be better if you put component speakers in the front

and far as brands goes you got to go to your local audio spot and check them out yourself, personally when it comes to the interior speakers I went with Alpine r-type and I have a Sony CDX-GT520 Headunit. Everybody prefers different things, its up to you what you think is right but Im a newb so what do I know.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The third hole was originally used for the JBL 6x9 sub in 1996. I'd keep 6x8s in the rear speaker spaces, and if you really want to, you can put a 6x9 speaker or a 6x9 free-air sub in the center.

Most 6x8s and 5x7s are actually the same size...they'll both fit right in.

I would probably back down to two or three-way speakers...you'll never hear the "supertweeter" on a 4-way speaker since generally what it's going to cover is past the range of the human ear. :) Components in the front would be more worth your money.

I'll let people who actually have experience with car audio answer everything else...I'm one of those annoying "Mach with new speakers is enough" types :lol2:

edit: :werd: to the above...your ears are going to be the best judge for you :thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it guys, but those component setups kind of bother me cause I'm not really the type that's into drilling holes and mounting tweeters. If something were to ever happen where I get a new car I'd like to remove everything from the car and return it to stock so I can keep my audio equipment.

I guess what I'm really after is what are people's opinions on quality brand names, cause I don't want to put together a fully loaded all sony sound system because their stuff isn't quality and it's gonna break down on me or it would kill me to find out that sony amps are way over rated and they destroy my kicker subs or something like that happening. I'm after quality and I know that picking out the right sound is up to me, but my stuff has to hold together for ages and be with me for pretty much the rest of my life with this Taurus.

This is a big purchase for me and I need it to be absolutely right, cause I couldn't handle this stuff breaking on me cause I bought some garbage brand that said their stuff was the best and it wasn't. Brands like Boston Acoustics, Blaupunkt, JBL, Polk, and Sony... are they even worth it for anything? When I think car audio I automatically think Kicker, MTX, Kenwood, Pioneer, JL Audio, Infinity, Eclipse, and so on. Am I ignoring good company's that I should give a shot investigating or am I smart to rely on those more famous company's?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I'd recommend Infinity Reference based on what you've stated. Infinitys have adjustable tweeter pedestals you can aim for a better sound stage. One the front speakers, aim the tweeters up towards the front seating area, the back speakers, aim the tweeters straight up towards the back glass. High's will bounce off the glass and forward. The Reference series is priced a little bit lower than Kappas and better than most Kenwoods and Pioneers of comparable price. Stick to 6x8/5x7 for a direct fit.

Sony speakers are crap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
shoot i got 3 way speakers all around and i got tweets mounted on the front A pillars. the tweeters make a huuuge differnce in the front cuz the door speakers are sooo far down on the door. the rear has no problem cuz the sound bounces off the roof.

kicker 4 way amp 375w amp with crossover for the door speakers. DO NOT amp the tweets, they'll deafen you.

i got pics of all my stuff on my car pro thing, check er out

·
Registered
205 Posts
My main thing with my music is clarity, I have to have crisp clean sound from my speakers cause there is nothing I hate more then hearing somebody's nasty car rolling down the street full of distortion and basically CRAP! If you have that system clean it up or just unplug it!

:tcca: :starwars: :tcca:
[/b]
If clarity is the keyword, then stay away from any 4-way or more systems. They generally do not have a real crossover network and the additional drivers are just marketing BS aimed to people who think more is better...

Quite often even 3-way systems have insufficient crossover networks and indeed 2-way systems sound better usually. I'd say go for component systems but I understand if you don't want to do any additional holes. Installing the tweets is rather easy though, search for the forum and you'll find some pics of successful installations.

Your next best option is two way system that has tiltable tweets like someone else already said. Even better if they come with external crossovers. A bit more trouble but worth it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deck - Kenwood KDC-MP535U

Interior Speakers - Infinity Reference 6822cf 6x8 2-way (4 all around)

Multi Channel Amp - Kenwood KAC-8403 4-Channel

Mono Amp - Kenwood KAC-9103D 1-Channel

Subs - Kicker 07CVR 102 10" (two in a sealed box)

I'd say that is a pretty SOLID set up right there. Thanks Spridget for the advice, I was actually torn between the Pioneers I had picked and the Infinity Reference speakers. I figured that having a 3-way or 4-way would be a good thing but I'm sure it's probably true that they appeal to the people who think bigger is better like FinnSpeed said.

I'm really gonna try and break myself of this stupid little nagging detail of my amps having to be from the same brand and model line so they can match. If I can get over it, lol, I'd be able to maybe find myself a 5-channel or 6-channel amp that I could power my speakers with and then put a 6x9 in that center slot in the rear deck.

Could anybody recommend a multi-channel amp that could power four speakers putting out 60watts rms and then also power off the same amp a quality 6x9?

I have a buddy who would be interested in getting a 6x9 of his own and then we could just split the cost of a pair and each get one, so it wouldn't be too expensive for us.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I am a die hard fan of Pioneer, for more reasons than one. With that said I can say with great certainty that the Kenwood deck is a great deck. That is a brand I have never had any issues with and I have a lot of dealers that sell Kenwood that never have problems with it(I do not sell Kenwood).

As far as your speaker choice. I would use the Pioneer over most, but I would not use a 4 way in any of the openings. I would do a set of TS-G6841R in the rear and a set of the TS-A6871R in the front. I say the TS-G6841R for the rear because I use my rears as fill only. My fade is almost all the way up front...but that is me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One option are a component set from JL Audio, MB Quart, or Polk. All 3 companies have "coaxial components", the benefit of these over a traditional coax is better quality drivers and much better quality cross over. If you are at all even remotely serious about sound this is the way to go. Other speakers are Coax's from the same companies, as well as Boston Acoustics. As far as electronics, Alpine and Eclipse are to head units that i recommend and use in my cars. Amps i would suggest Alpine, Eclipse, JL Audio, Rockford. You really can't go wrong with those, as long as you set them up right. I have seen amazing results with all. JL, MB Quart, Infinity, Boston Acoustics, are some companies if you want to look into subs.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
From my own perspective and IMO that setup seems bulletproof. Although I would try to stay away from multi-way setups more than 2 ways. I myself put 2 5x7 Polk Audio 2 ways in my taurus (almost went for the 3 ways. but circuit city cheated me. >> ) and I like em. ALOT. they balance out the sound.

I'm a diehard Polk Audio fan, so of course i'm going to go and tell you they rock. (cause they really do :D) but seriously 2 ways should be all you need. If you want bass put in some subs.. (which your going to do)

Also, I tend to stay away from speakers which run the cables through the sub (they cut a hole and epoxy it shut.) IMO it changes the way the sound is made and gets rid of the bass (not by much.. but i notice it.) try to go for coaxials and try to stay away from speakers with wires popping through the woofer cone. (its like having tubes through your stomach for kidneys..yeach. :blink: )

Also, Polk audio does it right, they actually have pass filters soldered onto a PCB on the jack.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I really appreciate the feedback guys, sometime this week, I'll be placing the order for the Kenwood headunit I want and then after that I have to wait until I can get some Christmas/B-Day money and sell off my current subs and amp so I can start to place orders for the rest of that stuff. I'll be sure to keep posting about this and let you all know what's going down with my system, I sure hope it is going to "bulletproof" like Mediarocker said. Thanks for the tip too on Polk Audio, I'll be sure to investigate them a bit further, and I'll post any changes to the line up here to see if they were for the better. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
what does bulletproof mean? besides the obvious.
[/b]
There is no stopping it. Incompatibilities are nowhere to be found. Everything should work as planned. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts