Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I pealed the carpet back to run wires for my seat heaters I found on the passengers side a good amount of water in the carpet backing, there is a 1" or so hole in the floor that is just open and I can see right to the ground I could get a gromet for it but could that really cause that much water to get in? The car has just been sitting and hasn't been drove, or is there another place where the water is getting in? The water seems to be coming up from the bottom (The firewall is wet from the bottom to the top about an inch or two up) There isn't any water in other places just on the passenger floorboard.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I have the same problem different cause. I have puddles of water on the driver's side floor. How do I get rid of them. I made the mistake of putting the heater on feet on a night that it got down to -15. The next morning, I had to scrape the INSIDE of the windshield, not the outside.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do the G3's have the same problem with leakage corroding the floorpan or is it only G4's?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by G2 Street Taurus@Jan 2 2006, 05:57 PM
Do the G3's have the same problem with leakage corroding the floorpan or is it only G4's?
I'm pretty sure that this only affects the Gen 4. I don't think there's any corrosion going on, at least not yet. From what I understand, the rubber plugs were not installed at the factory and a TSB was issued on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found & corrected the cause of my passenger side wet carpets & floorboards (also my fresh air intake paper filter was wet when removed from it's slot behind the glove box) on my 2011 Taurus (I do not have a sunroof with sunroof drains).

I read about the plugged a/c drain line protruding from bottom of the firewall slightly off center towards driver's side. I ran a 1/4" diam. wire up the drain to clear any obstructions & out came some water. I blew out the a/c drain line with compressed air then cranked max a/c and had a good flow of condensate water flowing out onto the garage floor. I shop vacuumed the passenger carpets / floorboards & thought I found the cure.

A week later, sloshing noise again & wet passenger side carpets & floorboards!!!! I cranked up the a/c and still had constant flow from a/c condensate drain? Puzzling? Then it came to me, it had rained the last few days. So I pulled the windshield cowling to find the actual fresh air intake box (3ea cutout 3" ID holes on the front of a black plastic box leading into the screened black box) on the far passenger side of vehicle at the base of the windshield. I found alot of pine tree needles, twigs & debris laying inside the intake box on the screen. Vacuumed it all out but didn't understand why this would flood my floorboards? Then I spotted the culprit - just in front 1" & below 3" of the black plastic intake air box there was a rubber oval sheet metal plug. I removed the oval rubber plug to find out it is actually an oval rubber check valve drain. It was plugged full of dirt, soil & tree debris. I brought it to the sink for a thorough cleaning, then reinstalled the oval into the hole in the sheet metal. Wallah, now all the rainwater runs out of the oval rubber check valve drain and onto the ground. Previously, due to this oval drain being plugged the rainwater would become trapped and the water level would keep rising until water flowed down into the fresh air intake box / screen & into the a/c unit on the passenger side behind the glove box. The water would soak the fresh air intake paper filter cartridge then flow down into the passenger side floorboard & eventually rise high enough to soak the passenger carpets & you'd hear water sloshing while driving!! I vacuumed 3 gallons of water out of the passenger side floor boards on 1 occurrence before finally putting this issue to bed.

I just wanted to share my experience with others having the same issue so you can check the oval rubber check valve drain to verify it is not plugged. Good luck.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts