Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my transmission rebuilt this summer. It was driving fine untill yesterday. I started my drive and it seems a little tougher to drive (its hard to put words to it i guess). It didnt stall nor misfire but the big problem came when i got to my parking spot. It was in a noticeable higher rpm even before shifting into park. Then when I tried to shift it into park the cable was harder to move and it almost thunked into park and the car kept at the high rpm even tho it should of switched to idle rpms. then I was curious and switched it from park to drive and then to reverse and each time it was like thunk and almost a jump into gear. I turned the car off waited 10 sec turned the car back on and bam its fine again and the rest of that day it was fine and today too. What do you guys think happened? Im still under warranty for my transmission rebuild so should i make him look at it soon?

Thank ya!

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
If the idle is acting up while in park, get out and tap the iac with the handle end of a screwdriver and see if it straightens up. If it does, remove the iac and clean it with throttle body spray or replace.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the idle is acting up while in park, get out and tap the iac with the handle end of a screwdriver and see if it straightens up. If it does, remove the iac and clean it with throttle body spray or replace.
Ty. I need to buy some more throttle body cleaner then. any type or brand i should get? a bottle of that would be much cheaper then a new sensor. Could this be the reason my transmission had issues into and out of park? Did i do lasting damage to the transmission because of this sensor? ugh. the PO took this to their mechanic for it and i thought they fixed it back then. when I looked through the recipts why didnt their mech atleast try a new or cleaned out iac?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Did tapping the iac make the idle smooth out? Any brand tb cleaner is fine (walmart or parts store). Some claim cleaning them is harmful and only temporary at best and to just replace them, but at $50+ a pop instead of automatically replacing them, why not attempt to clean first. If that doesnt work, replace. I had 2 that were acting up on gen3 tecs 4-5 yrs. ago, cleaned up both and they are working fine today.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I had my transmission rebuilt this summer. It was driving fine untill yesterday. I started my drive and it seems a little tougher to drive (its hard to put words to it i guess). It didnt stall nor misfire but the big problem came when i got to my parking spot. It was in a noticeable higher rpm even before shifting into park. Then when I tried to shift it into park the cable was harder to move and it almost thunked into park and the car kept at the high rpm even tho it should of switched to idle rpms. then I was curious and switched it from park to drive and then to reverse and each time it was like thunk and almost a jump into gear. I turned the car off waited 10 sec turned the car back on and bam its fine again and the rest of that day it was fine and today too. What do you guys think happened? Im still under warranty for my transmission rebuild so should i make him look at it soon?

Thank ya!
What were the RPMs exactly? It almost sounds like the throttle got stuck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What were the RPMs exactly? It almost sounds like the throttle got stuck.
sadly I have a gen 2 bull so i dont have a tac but it sounded much higher then usual. Recently i have put the car in park and instead of hearing the rpm go down it usually goes up a little bit. That day and today the rpms were much higher tho. Tomorrow i will try tapping on and cleaning the IAC. If it was stuck throttle or still the iac do you guys think it beat up my trans to a point were i should get it checked while the rebuild works still under warrenty?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Yes, as i first mentioned, i would take it back if only for the idle issue. Not good on anything banging from one gear to the next. If its something over and above the tranny warranty, you can decide if you want to tackle it or let him deal with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, as i first mentioned, i would take it back if only for the idle issue. Not good on anything banging from one gear to the next. If its something over and above the tranny warranty, you can decide if you want to tackle it or let him deal with it.

Thank you good point I will schedule a time to drop it by his shop. Today before my commute I tapped the IAC with a wrench lightly and the idle issue went almost away. The shifting issue was fine too after i tapped the iac and drove to work. I may try to clean the IAC and then send it to the shop? If their was damage to the transmission from an engine part (iac) would you guys think that would be covered?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ also i forgot to mention sorry i didnt see one of your above posts. Thank you for the input. I plan on finding a ton of gunk in the iac. the car i think has had some issues in the past. the PO drove with out a gas cap for 2 years and knew about it! I have run fuel system cleaner with good results on here before so i bet just like the gunked up fuel injectors the iac is just gunked up. cross your fingers guys that its not something wrong with my transmission. I dont want to go though that ordeal again. lol Though even if it does fix the issue im planning on still dropping it by his shop soon to see if he ll just atleast pop off the trans pan and see his opinion of how it looks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ also i forgot to mention sorry i didnt see one of your above posts. Thank you for the input. I plan on finding a ton of gunk in the iac. the car i think has had some issues in the past. the PO drove with out a gas cap for 2 years and knew about it! I have run fuel system cleaner with good results on here before so i bet just like the gunked up fuel injectors the iac is just gunked up. cross your fingers guys that its not something wrong with my transmission. I dont want to go though that ordeal again. lol Though even if it does fix the issue im planning on still dropping it by his shop soon to see if he ll just atleast pop off the trans pan and see his opinion of how it looks.
Random thought, but to save me money is it ok if i use electronics connection cleaner for cars instead of throttle body cleaner? I have a can of that still left.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Maybe iac was contributing to the original tranny problem? Years ago oldest son (out of state) was experiencing tranny problems with no eng. light on a 94 3.0 vulcan. Took it to tranny shop and they rebuilt it for $1500. Problems continued. Back to the shop 3 more times before they replaced rebuild with a reman. off the shelf. Probs. continued. $50-65 iac solved the problem. Moral to the story: A long, drawn-out and completely unneeded tranny repair. I, myself was having a hard to diagnose 1-2 slip on a 99tec with no eng. light or speedo issues. Went to 2-3 tranny shops and was told the exact same thing: tranny needs rebuilt for $1500-2500. A new vss from autozone ($18) and the problem was solved. That was 7 yrs. ago.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe iac was contributing to the original tranny problem? Years ago oldest son (out of state) was experiencing tranny problems with no eng. light on a 94 3.0 vulcan. Took it to tranny shop and they rebuilt it for $1500. Problems continued. Back to the shop 3 more times before they replaced rebuild with a reman. off the shelf. Probs. continued. $50-65 iac solved the problem. Moral to the story: A long, drawn-out and completely unneeded tranny repair. I, myself was having a hard to diagnose 1-2 slip on a 99tec with no eng. light or speedo issues. Went to 2-3 tranny shops and was told the exact same thing: tranny needs rebuilt for $1500-2500. A new vss from autozone ($18) and the problem was solved. That was 7 yrs. ago.
Good point. Ugh I hope my rebuild wasnt for no good reason. Hmm. Ill use the cleaner and clean the iac and see if the problem goes away. Taping on it so far has made it much better so im assuming that its just very gunked up with carbon.

How can i tell if the electric connector cleaner residue free? I used it to clean my alternator with good success.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cleaned the IAC and its better. the transmission doesnt act up anymore as in the hard shifting or engaging in gears. The idle is not crazy high anymore but it is a little higher then i thought it would be. Do you think something else is causing the slightly high idle? I put a new pcv valve on couple months ago and the hosing for that i thought looked ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts