Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has experience painting there own car or has a budy with a spray gun or spray booth? I have a friend that paints boats and has a spray booth for that. he would be willing to do my paint work if I can buy the paint. The only problem is I don't know where to buy it and he only knows were to buy the marine paint he uses for boats.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Have you tried asking a body shop to mix the paint for you or maybe ask the dealer to see if they can get a can?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well I doubt they'd have the exact paint for you car since it's probably discontiued and the weathering on you paint would be slightly faded from the new paint. It's best to get the body shop to mix the paint for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know about your town, but most cities have a paint supply house that sell PPG and other professional brands of paint and auto body supplies. Check the yellow pages under Auto Body Supplies. Finishmaster is a chain of stores that I have used. Anyway, once you find a supplier, you can give them your paint code and they can mix up a pint for you. My supplier can even put it in an aerosol can.

Spraying yourself can be tricky, since modern paint systems require mixing with reducers and hardeners. You will also have to apply a clear coat. Depending on how large of an area and the type of results you are trying to achieve, this might be beyond the average diy project. I have, however painted my whole car (a Mazda Miata) in my garage with very good results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts