Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the drag strip in Stanton, MI tonight. It was a blast, but we got rained out. I still managed to get one run though, my first time at the strip

R/T 0.978
60' 2.480
330' 7.091
1/8 10.790
MPH 68.16
1000' 13.981
1/4 16.675
MPH 83.27

temp. 80 degrees
humidity 100%

As you can see, I waited till the light turned green before I hit the gas. Also, I didn't put my foot to the floor as fast as I should've. On the street, the tires squeal, but on the tarmac with someone else's fresh patch of rubber on the strip, you need the put the pedal to the floor as quickly as possible. Next time I'm hoping to get a few more runs in, maybe I'll hit 16.5

I plan on going back to the track each time I perform any mod to my car to document if there's any real change.

S

·
0 Posts
Nice run still. Im hoping for 16.0 when I run. Well, we'll see. I gotta find a good track around here.

SableSal

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
might be cause of the weather and other factors, but most duratec's are supposed to run low 16s, some stock run 15.8

·
Registered
478 Posts
question, when you drag in your daily driver, do you do the burnouts, or do you just roll up to the line/tree(not sure on the lingo) wait for the green, then floor it(or appropriate amount of pedal)?Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're racing on street tires you want to avoid going through the water and do not do a burnout. Trying to do a burnout will result in the tires getting greasy. Wipe down the tires and fender wells to minimize the dirt and crap getting on the track. As for the lights, if it's a .500 Sportsman light you want to be hitting the accelerator just after the last yellow light comes on. If you wait until the green light comes on you'll get hole shot every time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thank you, much apreciated....now back to your regularly schedueled topic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine ran a 17.0 with a reaction time of .555, wasn't to impressed with the vulcan but beat the three saturns that were out there. The 'stock' times are with professional drivers the best of probably hundreds of trips down the QM, What was the vulcan suppose to run stock?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's right about the burnout thing, I imagine the officials, and other drivers would not happy if you did a burnout with treaded tires. It gets water all over the track, (NOT good for the next couple of drivers). Burnouts are for racing slicks, only.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Go back when its cooler out and less humid. Air up the rear tires to ~ 42psi, remove the spare/jack, run with less than 1/4 tank of gas, brake-tq to about 1500, turn off traction control if you have it, and if you spin alot from the launch drop the front tires to about 28 psi. Do all that and you should pick up about 2-3mph, and drop 2-3 tenths.

I ran 16.1's all day at 87mph in my bone stock 00 Duratec with this method. I had heavy 17" wheels too, so I probably would have ran 15.9's with the stock 16's.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume raising the pressure in the rear tires reduces weight transition?

·
Registered
517 Posts
hey i through a gtec on mine and ran 16.78 @ 86.9 and 0-60 in 8.4
and i had a realy bad lunch

i guess the gtec uses your acutal top speed and at the trac it takes an average so that is why mine is higher i guess

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The Gtech always reads higher in the mph but the ET is within a tenth or two but ONLY if the ground is perfectly level, you make multiple passes in both directions, and average the numbers together.

And raising the rear tire psi doesnt reduce sweight transition, thats the spring and shocks job. It makes the contact patch and rolling resistance of those tires less, thus slightly helping 1/4 times. In it of itself none of those techniques will gain you any mph or lose any ET, but if done together they can be worth some time. B)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Stop at the local store before you go and buy a few bags of ice. Before and after each run set the bags on your intake. It will cool the air and the intake. It should be worth at least a tenth on a super hot day.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by twoblacktaurus@Jul 21 2004, 12:52 AM
Stop at the local store before you go and buy a few bags of ice. Before and after each run set the bags on your intake. It will cool the air and the intake. It should be worth at least a tenth on a super hot day.
Im suing you. I did this tonight... Forgot the ice. Damn ice turned into liquid. Engine Hydrolocked!!!

SableSal

(Im just messin around)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thats why you put the bag in a strong-sealing bag and wrap it in a towel. Genius. :D

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by twoblacktaurus@Jul 21 2004, 12:52 AM
We're not allowed to use ice bags down here at Moroso because the hot engines melt the ice and it drips off the motor onto the track. They don't even let us use them when we're waiting in line in the staging lanes.

S

·
0 Posts
What about dry ice?? Anyone think of that? Colder then regular ice. Also it's second stage is a gas, not a liquid. Any try this?

SableSal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts