Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering right before my tranny died that it was shaking really bad im thinking it was the torque converter. The day of me leaving for work i put it in drive and it wouldnt move it reved up. I put the car in drive and it went to 2 1/2 then back down the comp is telling it to shift but the torque converter is bad right?? Not sure the guy at the tranny shop wont tell me?

Like the new forums!!!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Torque converter, without a doubt. If your tranny guy won't tell you, I'd be searching for a new tranny guy.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how much do you think it would cost me if i just had the torque conv replaced instead of the whole thing..

B

·
0 Posts
You'll need the whole thing rebuilt as well as the converter replaced. Once the converter goes, it wrecks the rest of the trans.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i didnt know that thanks for the info im just going to get a junk yard one thats good and hook everything up i have a tranny cooler there already so i dont need one but do you think thats wise of me? To get one from the junk yard i found one for $300 off a wrecked taurus with 23,000 miles the cluster says?? Everythinbgs on hold at the shop untill i give them the go so what do you think?

B

·
0 Posts
Junkyard trannies are tough to judge. It may be fine, but there's no way of telling unless you either have them tear it down and inspect (and they'll almost always find something that needs doing), or install it in the car and cross your fingers.

There are remans available fairly inexpensively at Phoenix Hard Parts , and they also sometimes have these on ebay at a reduced price. Assuming this is for the 95,it could be either transmission, the AX4N or the AX4S. Find out from the trans shop which one it is, and do a search on ebay for it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

--Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts