Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I Replaced my plug wires and plugs. Then went on a test drive. Ran hard,but damn it shifted hard. Pull over turn it off,restart it and UH OH. engine light comes on. Now it runs crappy and off to autozone to read the code I go. Intake sensor and blah blah. Im scratching my head and figure I can cure the problem by replacing my filter. Have codes cleared. Off I go. Damn it still is shifting hard though.
Stop by the goodyear service shop,see about a trasns service. Ya they can do it,no they cant flush my torque converter. Is it worth doing if you dont flush the torque converter? (waiting for answers from all of you)
Well I decide to check at QC. Start car and UH OH check engine light on again. On my way to QC I remembered that I DIDNT remember to reconnect the sensor. Get to QC and they are closing. But I reconnect the sensor in the parking lot. Off to auto zone I go get the code cleared out again. Hey guess what? Now the car shifts smoothly! :D I am a happy camper.
So I go home and decide to remove my air intake silencer. Easy job. Go for a test drive. Wow what a difference on power! Car isnt really any louder except under WOT conditions :D and then only a little as far as I can tell. So I am a happy camper. But what the hell is that stupid thing for, other than to make the car slower??

Then Im off hunting a wheel,because mine is bent. Well apperently the Taurus is one of the rarest cars in the world. See I could only find one rim,and it was scratched to hell. Plus the wanted 75 bucks for it. WTF? dude its scratched,maybe 30? NA. But we can get it refinished for 150 bucks. Na.
I did come across a G1 SHO,for 2500$ and they claim it runs. So if anyone is interested let me know.
So I went back to goodyear and had the bent rim put on the back. Now Im looking at new wheels. Didnt want to do this for awhile,wanted to lower it first,oh well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
An intake silencer does just that: Silences the noise from the intake piping.
"Normal" drivers, who the Taurus & Sable were designed for, appreciate a nice quiet car, with no dramatic moans or howls under hard acceleration. Opening up the intake to the air box is supposed to enhance the performance at R/M's over 3 grand. Cleaning the wires in the MAF with a spray electronics cleaner helps throttle responsiveness, too.

G

·
My car definitely had a mean little intake growl to it after removing the silencer and the good 'ole butt dyno told me it seemed to have a bit more breath on the high end and definitely something noticeable with throttle response. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The light came on my 98 Sonoma (vehicle before my 03 Taurus) and Autozone read the code for me and said I needed a new gas cap. I bought the cap from them but then they wouldn't reset the computer because they said it was "against the law" for them to do it. I only wanted it to be out when I went to trade it in, but I took it in with the light on anyway.

G

·
Originally posted by kodak_jack@Jun 14 2004, 04:39 PM
The light came on my 98 Sonoma (vehicle before my 03 Taurus) and Autozone read the code for me and said I needed a new gas cap. I bought the cap from them but then they wouldn't reset the computer because they said it was "against the law" for them to do it. I only wanted it to be out when I went to trade it in, but I took it in with the light on anyway.
I think unplugging your battery for a solid 15 minutes, then reconnecting it should clear codes on the computer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think codes can be cleared that way. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pulling off the battery for 15 minutes means you have to go through and redo the code for the anti-theft feature of the radio as well as resetting all the presets. It was easier to just trade it for an 03 Tuarus SES. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts