Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been done, converted a 3.0 Speed Density/Bank Fire/Blown AXOD transmissioned 89 Mercury Sable to an 91 Taurus'd 3.0 Mass Air/Sequential Injection/AXODE.

If you read back, I asked about the conversion, and gave a little story on how the trans died..... all I can say, is when I pulled the pan off, it was full of a bunch of tiny metal particles and band material :( . So it was off to the local Pick-a-Part, found a wrecked 91 Taurus that had been hit on the rear end..... Obviously it was driving at the time it was hit (first plus) and as well it was a Ford Rebuild (second plus), so the Transmission was yanked along with the upper intake, rear exhaust manifold w/ EGR valve, valve covers, mass air meter/airbox upper, tube between mass air and intake along with vacuum lines, computer, and engine wiring harness.

The actual installation was straight forward, transfered over the valve covers, wiring harness, upper intake, exhaust manifold w/ EGR Valve. Dropped in the engine and transmission, hooked up everythng that needed to be hooked up that was on the old setup (rad, heater hoses, front accessories, axleshafts ect...), then came the fun part, converting the 91 Engine harness over to the 89 Body harness, that requiered a little inginuity to conver the two, becasue the plugins for the 89 on the strut tower and the plugins of the 91 engine harness are both Female plugins, so that led to grafting 14" of the 89 Engine harnesws w/ plugins over to the cutoff ends of the 91 engine harness, most of the colors interchanged with execption of a few.... mainly the Tach wire, and A/C... The next problem to overcome is the Cruise Control on the 89 is run directly off of the PCM, so went back to pick-a-part and grabbed the curise servo and the standalone computer from an 92 Taurus, still working on grafting that in.

Overall there has been no problems with the setup so far (it's been 2 days) shifts good, stuck it on the NGS at work checked all the PIDs , no codes or problems found

Ahh, yes I know, pics, pics, I don't have any in progress pics as the 'rents wanted the car back on the road as soon as possibe but I will get an after pic, and i have a before pic....

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Excellent work! B)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts