Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I replaced the shift solenoids because there seemed to be a problem with one of them. The car works fine for about an hour, then starts acting up again. I.e., it won't shift into second unless I lift off the throttle at the shift point. In the meantime, that silly danged gear on the instrument cluster keeps flashing at me.

Soooo......

I take it to a transmission shop to have them run the transmission trouble codes. The guy takes her out for a spin and gets the following codes:

P0712 TRANSFLUID TEMP SENSOR LOW INPUT
P0713 TRANS FLUID TEMP SENSOR HIGH INPUT
P1715 SHIFT SOLENOID 2 FAULT
P0755 SHIFT SOLENOID B FAULT
P0758 SHIFT SOLENOID B ELECTRICAL
P0733 GEAR THREE INCORRECT RATIO

He then cleared the codes and drove it back to the shop. On the return drive it worked fine, so I drove it home. The one thing I noticed was that immeiately after putting the car into motion after startup the gear light flashed, but quit after shifting. The car worked fine the rest of the day, so I thought the problem was fixed.

The next day, the problem returned: Revving at the 1-2 shift point, and no shift unless I lifted the throttle. :angry: That was Friday.

On Saturday my wife had to drive about forty miles (one way), so I drove for her, and we took the Taurus. I wanted to see what the car would do on a longer trip, especially with the stop-and-go traffic we'd be in. I was also hoping to be blessed by some automotive god and the problem would go away again.

No such luck. :angryfire:

However, by the time we got where we were going, I got to thinking about that P0758 code. It occurred to me that the transmission was suffering from a bad connection. Since that white plug on top of the tranny seems to be the one that feeds power to the shift solenoids (among other things), I decided to unplug and inspect it. It looked a bit grungy and the pins looked grungy. So, I wiped off the female side of the plug and plugged it back in.

It has worked fine, for the most part, ever since. I can't decide whether to be happy that it's working or mad because I apparently wasted about $70.00 on those three solenoids. The only problem I still have is the gear light flashes the first two times it shifts from a dead stop, and the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts sometimes feel a bit slushy.

Call me old-fashioned, but I am not at all convinced that electronic controls belong on an automatic transmission. Wires and hydraulic fluid just don't go together, IMHO.

By the way: The odometer hit 200,000 miles on Saturday. We've driven the heck out of that Taurus!

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Grover @ Mar 15 2009, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708867
Call me old-fashioned, but I am not at all convinced that electronic controls belong on an automatic transmission. Wires and hydraulic fluid just don't go together, IMHO.

By the way: The odometer hit 200,000 miles on Saturday. We've driven the heck out of that Taurus![/b]

Your old fashioned.. we don't have much electronic problems witht he transmissions.. problems are almost always mechanical. I think I have only replaced a couple of solenoids on a AX4 trans in 10 plus years of working on fords. And I can't even remember a internal wiring problem on one.

Most common ax problems i see now are torque converter splines striping, pump shafts breaking and pumps breaking.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (svttech76 @ Mar 16 2009, 09:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709452
QUOTE (Grover @ Mar 15 2009, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708867

By the way: The odometer hit 200,000 miles on Saturday. We've driven the heck out of that Taurus![/b]

Your old fashioned.. we don't have much electronic problems witht he transmissions.. problems are almost always mechanical. I think I have only replaced a couple of solenoids on a AX4 trans in 10 plus years of working on fords. And I can't even remember a internal wiring problem on one.

Most common ax problems i see now are torque converter splines striping, pump shafts breaking and pumps breaking.
[/b][/quote]

I love my MTX.....

As for problems.. all of mine are on my AX4N. And they are usually compound problems. AKA. More expensive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i KNOW this is an old thread!! my question is to Grover: do you still have "Carmen" ?? and, most importantly-if you still have her, how is the trans holding up ?? good job on finding the bad connection, now if only i could be so lucky,,,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts