Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it shifts normal but around 60 it all of a sudden shudders like boom boom boom boom and today i see when i put it in park the speedo jumps to 100 or so. and on top of that the timing couldn't be worse. car trouble money trouble whats next. oh and now my ac compressor is making noise. 122034 miles. guess its time for everything to start to go

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Whoa - it's doing this without setting a Service Engine Soon light?

122k is young for the engine and advanced middle age for the tranny -- senility, if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed at least once since birth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes no light. im going to do a tranny flush when possible. but the way it stumbles around 60 mph and 2000 rpms. it makes the whole dash jump.

edit: i have changed tranny fluid around 75000 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Transmissions are ignored to death. AC units are ignored to death. You cars mileage has nothing to do with the items you've mentioned going bad. Please, forgive my painkiller and muscle relaxant fueled rant.

I suggest just dropping the pan and putting the recommend amount of Mobil 1 transmission fluid in for a pan drop (autozone has the number of quarts). Do not flush it. Do not flush it using the method posted here on TCCA, your transmission just can not handle a flush of any kind at this point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like either the range switch sensor or an output speed sensor. Be nice to read the inputs with a scan tool. Failing speed sensor will give erroneous inputs to the pcm making the speedo jump and a bad range sensor will make it think its in another gear. Hit an auto zone and have them look for pending codes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i agree with 2000sable and eastwildlife. i will get the codes looked at asap. and this weekend will do a full change. im going to drain old. put some new in then drain again. i looked at fluid and it does look kinda dark. ive had this car for 4 years wife drove it most for the longest and i really didn't care. thought there wasn't a market for stuff for it so i just blah. anyways ive been getting into her and loving it more after i found this site. thanks everyone. on a good note i adjusted the drum breaks where slacked bad.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
IMO, Sounds like a VSS and Fluid Problem. Compound problems suck because you cant tell if its one or both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts