Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this car worth keeping, is it worth a transmission rebuild? I am not 100% sure thats whats needed. I am getting ready to come into some money. I need new front struts/shocks, whats the best and where do I get them? This of course is all if I decide to keep the car. The car viberates and makes this annoying grinding sound when idling in drive, sometimes when its just in park, mainly with the AC/HEAT engaged, what do I got to replace to get rid of that rattling/grinding noise. Sometimes it does it when the AC isn't even on. Cannot pin point where it comes from. I am getting ready to come into 2500 extra dollars, soon and I can spend it all on either A) new car B) fixing this one.

I need new struts/shocks. Probably need to replace the CV joints on both sides. I got a buddy with 18" rims, hes willing to sell me them pretty damn cheap they are in very very nice shape. I am concerned being that they are also wide if I would have an issue. I am also a bit concerned about how low my car sits. What can I do to raise it, at least the front end, and maybe the back end as well. The struts/shocks come from the simple fact that the passenger side pops when turning sharp, or hitting mild bumps going down the road. Where I live the roads are not the best to begin with as far as being rough. Its annoying, and concerning. At the moment the lifters are knocking hoping an oil change will fix it, as I know it had something to do with the crappy royal purple oil I used, and adding lucas to the motor. Other then that the motor has 162k miles on it, alone with the transmission. The car looks nice. I mean its had a new front bumper put on it, a new passenger side door, along with a new paint job on both driver and passenger side, fender, and bumper! It has brand new head lights aftermarket of course, but they are darn nice looking. Three of the door locks do not work, the motors in them did go out, confirmed by replacing one side, and it now works.

Other things it needs is probably a new coil what kind of coil to get (if you think I should keep the car), and it will also need new plug wires, are the MSD ones worth it, or should I go with the taylor ones... again I need links to all the stuff if you guys have any recommendations. I love the way this car rides, I do not love the issues I am running into. Which I am sure are all fixable. The transmission rebuild is probably something that needs to happen, or at least the valve body if not both.

Performance (if you think I should keep this car.). I know theres not much, and if theres much money lift after the stuff I list here. I was considering the pulley that gives 5-8 HP gain, maybe the Y pipe magna flow, and maybe that programmer that SHO123 sells...

LIST(If you guys think its worth fixing)
New CV Joints both sides!
New Shocks/Struts both sides
New Plug Wires
New serp belt gator back!
Possibly new AC Compressor
Most Likely a tranny rebuild.
18" rims are a must! Those I can get cheap if they would work?
Fixing that annoying rattle

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Honestly if it's been a good car to you, I'd keep it and fix it up. Better than a monthly car payment - especially if you can do the repairs yourself or find good labor for a cheap cost. On my '97, I didn't even have a second thought about rebuilding the transmission. I called a repuitable shop the day it went out and had it towed there within an hour. I worried about paying the bill later.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
All used cars will need maintenance. New cars too.

I have a payment on a 2008 F150. I love my truck. But car payments SUCK!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
even if you ditch the taurus who is to say that its replacement isnt going to need just as much work in a couple months or less. i say fix the taurus at least then you know more of the history and you know what has been done to it and when. i ran into the problem i bought my contour and literaly a week later the clutch went out i payed 500 for the car the clutch was 300 but i still bought it and payed for it because i believe it is going to be a very reliable car once back on the road

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
99% of the time, it's cheaper to repair than replace.

It sounds like you like the car other than the couple problems it has right now. If the body is good, which it sounds like it is (and I doubt it's rusted out, seeing as you're from Kentucky), I would fix it.

As far as the things you put in the list:
-If it's sitting abnormally low in the front, I can almost be sure you have at least one broken spring. If you want stock height and like how it rides now, throw some QuickStruts on it. It saves literally $5 to build new stock replacement assemblies yourself using comparable parts. I'd suggest buying your own and taking them to the shop if you're not going to do it yourself, if they'll let you...but check their prices.
-Plug wires/coil pack - There is zero power gain for going to bigger wires. Just pick out some good quality wires. Motorcraft, Duralast, Bosch, etc. I have Bosch (their wires are fine - skip their plugs in that car), but basically anything that isn't super-budget-line is fine. Don't bother with a new coil pack unless something is wrong with your old one.
-Serpentine belt - Gatorbacks are great.
-AC compressor - I bet the grinding is the clutch, and you might not need a whole new compressor - much less involved and less expensive repair.
-Rims - Find out what the bolt pattern and offset are. They'll probably work if they're 5x108mm with offset in shouting distance of +42mm...test fit them and see how they get along with the strut and the fender lips. If they're really that wide, you might run into issues, depending on how wide wide is.

The repairs/maintenance you listed (not counting rims/mods/etc...get it in shape first), assuming you need a new transmission could probably be done for around $2,500, give or take a few hundred. Any car you buy for $2,500 is most likely going to need at least that much put into it to make it what it should be...so if you like the car, go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not like the way it sits, it rides fine, it just sits to low. I mean it look ugly. I am not a low person. I like to set up a bit more, or at least the car to sit up a bit. I own a 2008 Ford F450. I know about the payments I assure you its loaded power everything, runs around 622 a month. Gets around 15-16 mpg with a programmer! I got a bit of money tied up into it stacks and what not.

This car is basically my pride and joy outside of the truck. I also own a 1997 Ford Expedition, with a 4.6L Triton P71 Interceptor. I love my Fords.. I like the way the car looks, but I do tend to have a lead foot. As for the struts I had looked on autozone and found that their was garbiel I believe is how you pronounce them which was pretty picey. My total repairing all that came out pretty expensive. I bet it is just the clutch so I can knock that off, and also the MSD wires which will drop the price of things a lot. As far as replacing the CV joints.. I was told by a mechanic at work that the car I got is very touch, and once you mess around with the front end you pretty much have to replace the cv joints to.... I'd defiantly like it to setup higher, and run better. As far as loudness I was thinking of maybe a Cherry bomb. I do like that sound, but I do not want it sounding like no damn tuner car so is their an exhaust that will give it that rumble I am looking for?

Also was wondering if I have the transmission rebuilt does that include the valve body?

Another thing that bothers me that has to be fixed if I am to keep this car, is the fuel kick off. Theres something wrong. I am wondering if I take the box off under the trunk that the fuel vent hose runs to if their is maybe a filter or something I can do to stop the kick off. I cannot fill my gas tank at all without standing in the freezing cold or heat holding it, and its a very slow process because you have to squeeze very lightly so putting 20 bucks in it is like a 8-10 minute process. VERY annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Don't even think about performance items until you fix the maintenance issues. Having worn out struts will make your car handle crappy and make the rear end sag. Get some wires, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, do a coolant flush, do a tranny fluid drain and fill, if your power steering fluid is brown then flush it, and use a can of throttle body cleaner and spray that bitch down. Do all this and I guarantee you'll feel hp restored that you've lost. The grinding noise you're hearing is probably the AC clutch. And you might want to check the motor mounts and all the suspension bushings. And go buy some seafoam and follow the intructions in the can. Oh ya might want to change out the cats too. No telling how clogged those are. New O2 sensors will help too. All this seems like a lot but from the way you describe things your has been severely neglected over the years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ Mar 12 2009, 04:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708000
you have to many vehicles sell that bitch![/b]
My wife has a 3.0 Vulcan 2007 Ford Taurus SE with 14k miles on it. I also have a 1979 Ford F150 Explorer 351 Cleveland 4WD Lock Outs, my uncle gave to me for a dollar he bought brand new for 3600 in 79. It has 90k miles on it. Cannot pass a gas station. I don't want to sale it, all I've got left then is gas guzzlers. I have a GMC 1500 Sierra with a busted radiator, freeze plug, and its in need of some service its a chebby so I didn't expect much. Its a back yard ornament, with 100k miles on it. I have a Ford F150 2008 with a fab tech 6" suspension lift on it, and 36's. It sits though most of the time as I have been working way to much. I ain't rich though, just make pretty good money... of course my toys tie it up, that and my house payment :/.... So the 2500 is when I get back from Wyoming should have 2500 if not more to blow.... I hope. Summers here so work is picking up real good again!

QUOTE (Cheeto @ Mar 12 2009, 05:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708016
Don't even think about performance items until you fix the maintenance issues. Having worn out struts will make your car handle crappy and make the rear end sag. Get some wires, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, do a coolant flush, do a tranny fluid drain and fill, if your power steering fluid is brown then flush it, and use a can of throttle body cleaner and spray that bitch down. Do all this and I guarantee you'll feel hp restored that you've lost. The grinding noise you're hearing is probably the AC clutch. And you might want to check the motor mounts and all the suspension bushings. And go buy some seafoam and follow the intructions in the can. Oh ya might want to change out the cats too. No telling how clogged those are. New O2 sensors will help too. All this seems like a lot but from the way you describe things your has been severely neglected over the years.[/b]
Fuel Filter was changed just yesterday. PCV Valve, never heard of that, I'll change that to though. I have a K&N Air Filter. I got new plugs their motorcraft. Yes the car was neglected before I got it. The Fuel Filter helped a bit. I've cleaned the throttle body, and MAF sensor. O2 Sensors is also something to do.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,234 Posts
Keep the Taurus. Get the tranny fixed. Sell the gas guzzlers. Mod the Taurus. Damn. Your happy now. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (major @ Mar 12 2009, 08:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708045
Keep the Taurus. Get the tranny fixed. Sell the gas guzzlers. Mod the Taurus. Damn. Your happy now. :D[/b]
Love my gas guzzlers... I dont make any payments on the Expedition, or the F150 now, or Taurus, I paid them off.... I don't no money on my 2007 Ford Taurus... I pay maybe 100 bucks for full coverage on the Expo, 60 for the Taurus... I get a damn good discount for all the vehicles. Not selling nothing, If I did decide to get another vehicle it'd be a ranger or maybe another Taurus maybe an SHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I was and still am debating on it. I was convinced the first couple of post though. I wanted tips though if the vehicle was indeed worth keeping. It was a matter of getting enough opinions!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ford badge is gone on the rear...odd. Cloth seats, rare. Welded already, could be a nice car B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I find it interesting that there are no pics of the front of the car. Hmm. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would donate the Taurus for a tax deduction, the cost of the parts alone that the Taurus needs are worth more than the car is, and you can replace it with somthing you really want, or use the money for more mods to the trucks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey People!
I'm a TCCA newbie as of yesterday ;) Found your group after I got puzzled with '01 vulcan wagon.
I can honestly say Strutmasters had "Quickstruts" at a great price on E-bay. They have been great(1yr.) so easy to install. Thanks for the great forum-very informative!
Brad

·
Registered
332 Posts
LIZARD..

you are planning to put $2500 in a 10 years old car which is worth $1000, and needs a repair of atleast $3500(including Tranny).

definitely doesn't make financial sense..

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (ab_sood @ Mar 25 2009, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712203
LIZARD..

you are planning to put $2500 in a 10 years old car which is worth $1000, and needs a repair of atleast $3500(including Tranny).

definitely doesn't make financial sense..[/b]
The time it starts to not make financial sense is when you can spend the money and get a better vehicle than the existing car would be once it's repaired. Good luck finding a car that needs nothing for $3500 - it's not unheard of, but very unlikely.

99% of the time, it's cheaper to repair than replace. It makes almost zero sense (in the rust belt, anyway) to scrap a car with a good body just because it needs some front end parts, unless you were already planning on replacing the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts