Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new flywheel in and installed a couple of days ago, however I noticed some atf leaking...a little more than before.

Anyway after a bottle of stop leak it seemed to have helped a lot, up until today...start the car up and its like a river of atf streaming down from the torque converter area :angry: :angry: :angry: GRRRR I HATE this transmission, this is the last straw.

This was going to be the year I got a new tranny installed too, no later than august and I would have gotten one from SOMEWHERE, now well, i'd be screwed if it wasnt for loving parents lol

anyway, on a positive note, I did get my SFCs welded on yesterday...and much to my suprise, and delight, i'm still alive (Bob!)

later all, wish me luck I guess.

RIP AXOD. Another one bites the dust.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
damn, I better get crankin on my AXODE projects..

J-

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
judging from the fun its seen in the past from well over 300 ft-lbs of tq, I'd say getting a new trans wouldn't hurt... :)

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the flywheel is seated properly, I checked and double checked and torqued it down to the proper spec, same goes for the converter to flywheel bolts. It *COULD* be a seal but at this point i've just about had it.

For now I'm just looking to get a quick replacement, last summer my car was down for months waiting on slow a** people to ship my cam and blower pulley and whatever else I had ordered at the time, I dont want that to happen again. Just a quick (and CHEAP) replacement from wherever, maybe ebay, then a few months down the line get one from http://www.phoenixhardparts.com

I'd love to do the bulletproofing with internal truck parts like Jeramie and I talked about, the only thing is, i'm sure he can pull it off, that man is a genius, and well equipped, I however lack all those specialized tools so I cant work on mine...just buy a replacement.

One thing I always forget though, can anyone clear this up once and for all, how do you tell exactly what transmission you have?

My Pan has "AXOD METRIC" stamped on it, i'm pretty sure the valve body cover is the same way. Online places have ambiguous specs for the years like

89-94 AXOD
94-96 AX4S
etc

what is the foolproof way to be absolutely sure? And does AXOD-E = AX4N ?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
All 1995 3.8L equipped tauri had AX4S.. which is the newest version of the AXOD-E

AX4N is a almost a different trans inside.. Not 100% sure why 3.8's never came with them. They are actually a better transmission.

X, make sure you get a '94-'95 model replacement trans. They have the larger oil feed tubes, and some better parts. Though, any 91+ trans ~should~ work..

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No new updates to speak of really. I should be getting the cash for new trans from php for my birthday 6/19. So for the next couple of weeks, the Ruff Ryde sleeps.

I HAVE however given some thought to gutting the cats, opinions so far steer me away from that. I definately dont want something so loud and obnoxious that it drives me up the wall, its NOT an all out uncomfortable, loud, unreliable, gutted interior race track only car, just a nice daily driver with some sack. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mikey posted on SHOforum that Midwest SHO will be offering an LSD for the auto. He listed a price of $695. Last price I saw from SHOFast was $795 for theirs ($695 if purchased with a tranny).

I have no idea of the difficulty level of the install, though. Might be something to think about for the future. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts