Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone can help me diagnose this... Thanks!
Well the transmission is making a screeching noise that sounds like metal on metal. The noise only starts to appear after the car has reached normal operating temp and is warm. And only makes the noise at idle or low rpm when not under any load. If its revved up or anything the noise will disappear. I checked the fluid transmission level and it seems to be fine. Not sure when the last time it was changed though.
I also changed the cam synchronizer to eliminate that making that noise since it sounds somewhat similar to a failing cam synchro.
The noise doesn't start until running for about 10 minutes and only makes it at idle under no load. The transmission seems to shift fine and the car rides nice.

Here is a video of the sound coming from the transmission.
2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission chirping noise? - YouTube

This is the sound the transmission makes when shutting the car off.2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission noise when shutting car off and only when warm. - YouTube

Thanks any help is appreciated thanks!!!
Josh

·
Registered
728 Posts
Without a stethoscope check, it is hard to determine what it is. Could be a trans front pump bearing failing, but it could be something else too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I actually bought a stethoscope earlier today! I had it around the area of the transmission but couldn't determine where it was coming from.. all I could tell was that it was coming internally from the transmission. Maybe I should try the stethoscope at it again.....try and determine if its from the front of the transmission or the rear of it. Any other suggestions are helpfull! Thanks
Thanks again!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sound can travel a ways, and a squeak can sound as it is from one part, but it ends up being a completely separate part.

It might be the torque converter too. sometimes if the bearing in that is failing, it could cause a similar noise.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hi hope someone can help me diagnose this... Thanks!
Well the transmission is making a screeching noise that sounds like metal on metal. The noise only starts to appear after the car has reached normal operating temp and is warm. And only makes the noise at idle or low rpm when not under any load. If its revved up or anything the noise will disappear. I checked the fluid transmission level and it seems to be fine. Not sure when the last time it was changed though.
I also changed the cam synchronizer to eliminate that making that noise since it sounds somewhat similar to a failing cam synchro.
The noise doesn't start until running for about 10 minutes and only makes it at idle under no load. The transmission seems to shift fine and the car rides nice.

Here is a video of the sound coming from the transmission.
2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission chirping noise? - YouTube

This is the sound the transmission makes when shutting the car off.2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission noise when shutting car off and only when warm. - YouTube

Thanks any help is appreciated thanks!!!
Josh
Not sure if it applies, but scrapping noises on a Vulcan can often be the
water pump impeller scrapping the inner housing because of bearing wear.
a bad idler or tensioner can also cause some strange noises.

the shut off noise chirp sounds strangely like the sound of a failing shop vac bearing.

Not sure what kind of noise failing TC splines might make.

If it is an internal trannie issue, you might have to wait until it gets worse
or drive it until it dies. Unless you want to pony up $2K or so for
a rebuilt and new TC.

bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! The engine actually has a newer water pump installed on it....but the sound is definitely coming from the transmission side. I kinda hope its just the torque converter... don't want to have to replace the transmission. It still sounds like a bearing to me.. possibly the input shaft bearing if that exists? I don't want to pull it apart quite yet if its still driving good. Any other suggestions are great .
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
After more research Im thinking it could be the torque convertor bushing?
Well, you got one other possibility. Try to find a local trannie shop that
will do a quick diagnosis by driving and listening to it. Dont let them
tear it down. If your crafty, you can get there opinion for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I'd like to avoid going to a shop yet....I'd like to do the work myself as I am somewhat mechanically inclined. But I'll keep it in mind.... I still think it could be a bushing or bearing in the transmission that is wearing out ...maybe somewhere around the torque converter?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That sounds like the transmission pump. Does it sound the same from below?
I heard the same sound from mine when I bought it, knowing it would need a transaxle overhaul.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm ...yeah ill take the stethoscope to the bottom of the transmission in a bit here...hopefully it's just the pump. Thanks for the reply ...

·
Registered
728 Posts
That sounds like the transmission pump. Does it sound the same from below?
I heard the same sound from mine when I bought it, knowing it would need a transaxle overhaul.
If it is the pump, there is a possibility that his transmission has other internal damage because the fluid pressure is not high enough and is causing some slippage.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hmm ...yeah ill take the stethoscope to the bottom of the transmission in a bit here...hopefully it's just the pump. Thanks for the reply ...
Well, you can poke around all you want. But to find anything the trannie
is going to have to come out and the pump and TC inspected for starters.

On a car that old, i would just keep driving it under it gets worse and slipping
and then make a decision on what to do. If its you only car, thats a big
problem csue a DIY trannie change/repair is going to be a long project.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If it hasn't been slipping noticeable, and the fluid isn't full of soft gray mush, the friction plates are likely still good.
In addition to the pump failing on my transaxle, the cushion spring in the front clutch had broke into several pieces. One of these wedged in the clutch and prevented it from engaging properly. It slipped like crazy and was the only clutch that need to be replaced. I replaced the others because I had already bought an overhaul kit.
The pump can be replaced without pulling the transaxle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts