Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help me out on this. Every now and then, when I accelerate, the tranny revs for a couple of seconds before it shifts to second gear. Same thing happens when shifting to third. Other times it grabs the shifts like it would normally do. Also, for some reason, the cruise control is acting up. I don't know if it is related to the shifting issue. Has somebody experienced this? I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've never experienced it, but it sounds like your trans is starting to slip. You should take it to a good trans shop asap. What Generation taurus/sable do you have???

JR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not posting car info. I have a 95 GL with the AX4N tranny. Would this slipping mean total tranny replacement or just replacing a part here and there? Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try testing your TPS, or replace it if it's not too expensive. The fact that you only experience this shift problem now and then makes it less likely that the tranny is slipping because of wear. The TPS signal is essential for the tranny control.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by brainDfect@Apr 23 2004, 09:12 AM
Sorry for not posting car info. I have a 95 GL with the AX4N tranny.
How many miles?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any codes coming up. When driving does the car occasioanlly fall out of overdrive. Is do is the problem still there when yuo restart the car?

All common problems I was geting with the coe of "Shift solenoid C inop or stuck open". Part is cheap ($30) getting to it is the problem, it is internal to the ranny under a cover plate, yu are not actually in the gearing section but the electronics.

I still need to replace mine but it is a big job

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mileage is at 180,000 miles. Just a while ago when I went out for lunch from work, the tranny shifted fine, but then on the way back it would start to rev for a couple of seconds and then shift into gear. I haven't had any codes come up.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I made it 246K on my GenII before the tranny went. I had a cooler and an inline filter and ran synthetic fluid in it after 36K.
The symptoms you are describing sure sound like one that is starting to go south.

I hope the other recommendations work for you.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts