Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members,

I have a 2001 taurus with factory radio + cd player. The radio has the cd changer support. I bought the car a few months ago, and it only plays cds for like 1-3 minuts (time varies) and then switches automatically back to the radio. You cannot switch it back to cd for a while afterwards. If you turn off contact and turn in back on, you get to listen to your cd for 1-3 minutes again and you can repeat this sequence.

Since I diagnosed this as CD player issue, I bought an ipod interface and installed this on the cd changer input. Now I get to listen to my ipod for 1-3 minutes and it will change to "no dj" on the display, but the ipod still charges. When I restart the car, same story: as it works again for 3 minutes.

First I was surprised, but now it really seems like an aux input issue on the factory radio. Does anyone have some ideas on how to solve this issue, rather then throwing randomly new parts at it (RCU)?

Thanks,

Leon

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello members,

I have a 2001 taurus with factory radio + cd player. The radio has the cd changer support. I bought the car a few months ago, and it only plays cds for like 1-3 minuts (time varies) and then switches automatically back to the radio. You cannot switch it back to cd for a while afterwards. If you turn off contact and turn in back on, you get to listen to your cd for 1-3 minutes again and you can repeat this sequence.

Since I diagnosed this as CD player issue, I bought an ipod interface and installed this on the cd changer input. Now I get to listen to my ipod for 1-3 minutes and it will change to "no dj" on the display, but the ipod still charges. When I restart the car, same story: as it works again for 3 minutes.

First I was surprised, but now it really seems like an aux input issue on the factory radio. Does anyone have some ideas on how to solve this issue, rather then throwing randomly new parts at it (RCU)?

Thanks,

Leon
Well all you might need to do is just replace the rcu (rear control unit) that is located in the back of the car, left side of the trunk wheel well. My theory yours is just going bad. If you go to a local junk yard you could pick up a new one for like 20 bucks and just plug and play back there. Also their are members here that sell the upgrade Rcu that has more output to the speakers. That would be my idea if no one else can give you an idea how to fix the 1-3 min problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response,

I think you are right and the RCU is bad, however I would like to hear if someone else has experience the same problem. If people have an RCU for sale, let me know!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
We've exchanged PM's. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts