Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here, and I've got an electrical problem with my 2000 Mercury Sable that I am at a loss to figure out.

I replaced blown head gaskets recently (bought the vehicle that way). That repair is apparently successful, but now none of the power windows work, and none of the interior lights work. Also, the power moon roof doesn't work. They all worked before I tore the engine apart. I can't find any blown fuses, and I just don't know where to start looking next.

The power locks still work, and heck, even the door chime works when you've left the ignition key in, but no lights come on when you open the door. They did before. Is there some sort of delay relay I might have messed up somehow that I should be checking? I'm just out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further information

I see that no one yet has any ideas, and I haven't made any progress, either. However, I made videos of the startup. In the first video, it failed to start. I discovered I had disconnected the fuel safety shutoff switch during engine dis-assembly, and had forgotten to reconnect it for the first startup attempt. Once reconnected, the engine started immediately.

I can clearly see in the first video that the dome light (and I assume, everything else) was working when I opened the door to attempt the start. It was still working when I closed the door at the end of the video. In the second video, the dome light is not working from the outset.

Well, something weird happened when I went to plug the fuel safety shutoff back in. Right next to the shutoff is the trunk light. As I was plugging the fuel shutoff back in, I noticed that the light bulb was not fully seated in its holder. Not thinking, I jammed it back in with my metal flashlight, as it was too hot to touch. It immediately stopped working. The bulb is still good. I didn't think a thing of it at the time, but that's the only thing I can think of.

However, I can't imagine this tiny action could take out all the interior lights (but not the dashboard lights), the power windows, and the power moonroof. Mere coincidence, or is there something to this I'm not seeing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll check them again. I struck out there the first time. The only other thing I can think of is that all that stuff is on a time delay relay. Maybe I'll check that, too, if I don't find any fuses blown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I attempted to search that acronym, and looked in the Glossary sticky also. "GEM" is not in there. I'm sorry to be a pain, but what is the GEM?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, has it been two weeks already? To finish the story, I got a different GEM from a junkyard car (I think it came off an '01 Taurus). It fixed the problem. I was even able to re-program the key fobs.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As near as I can tell, the GEM, or Generic Electrical Module is the computer that controls pretty much everything that doesn't have to do with the engine.

I'm guessing that since my problems came on suddenly and all the stuff that didn't work was otherwise unrelated (like power windows and the dome light), more experienced people knew to point to this.

As I took all the stuff apart, I was really able to go through the fuse panel. I discovered that a few fuses had been replaced in the past with fuses that were of too high an amperage. Perhaps this caused my problem when I accidentally shorted out that trunk light, I don't know. In any case, that problem is fixed, though others remain. At least I can drive the car now (with the windows rolled up, haha).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts