Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Soo I was stopped at a red light, and the windows were open despite the 30 degree weather. I turn the wheel and my friend points out a squeaking noise coming from outside the car. Each time I turned the wheel this noise would be made. Im nervous because I just spent 500 dollars on my car repair and I DO NOT
want to take more money from my parents for this. Anything I could do to stop this noise?
Is it something serious?
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Most likely its a strut bearing thats making that noise. Sit the car in park and let it idle and have one of your friends turn the wheel while you listen to which strut tower is making the noise (helps to open hood). The part itself is like $35 from your local parts shop. My mechanic did the job for me for $55 when I first got the car - he took the whole strut assembly out, compressed the spring a little (I think you would need spring compressors if youre going to do this on your own) and then took out the old bearing and put in the new one. Took no more than 45 minutes IIRC.

·
Registered
933 Posts
something like that happened to my car a while back. my sound seemed to be coming from the rubber boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. I had wanted to fix it for a while, but eventually it fixed itself. I think the warm weather of the summer time helped eliminate the problem. expansion of materials? I agree, figure out where its coming from for sure, then we can figure out how best to fix it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Whatever you do, check that power steering fluid religiously. My squeeling noise led to a new rack-n-pinion within a matter of a couple days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok soo I figured out where the noise is coming from.
I believe it is coming from both bushings on each front wheel. I can't get an exact point of location, but it is DEFINETELY from the front wheels, not my steering wheel.
My neighbor said that its probably nothing serious (said something about dry rubber bushings), but the sound is quite obnoxious and I'd like to see what I can do about it.

Thanks!

P.S. You guys are the absolute best!
I belong to 3-4 newsgroup forums and this is BY FAR the most helpful!

·
Registered
902 Posts
have a tech check it out i think more like outter tie rod seized up,had one here the other day not to hard or expensive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts