Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm sitting at a stop my car idles very weird, it will dip down to like 500 rpm like its gonna die, when that happens everything dims then it comes back to normal in a second, and the weirdest thing is when this is happening my speedometer will shoot up like I'm accelerating really fast.... it will go up and down, from like 20 mph to 0. Makes no sense at all... Oh yeah and just last night for the first time it shut off on me but started right back up. This idle problem has been intermittent for the past I'd say few months but now it's just getting worse. And another weird things is when I'm stopped on a slight incline, the problem almost always happens with the speedometer thing. Any ideas?

P.s. its a 2002 taurus with the duratec.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Clean your idle air control valve.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No check engine light. I got 72k miles and in the past year I replaced my spark pugs and wires and did a transmission flush, oh yeah and 2 new front suspensions due to the failing springs =/

And could it be due to my alternator? I run 500-800rms daily so idk.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Are you trying to tell us you're driving from 500 - 8000 RPMS daily. Or trying to tell us 500 - 800 kilometers daily?? Which I can certainly see the latter being true. 500 - 800 RPMS would barely be idle speed.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ May 31 2009, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729267
Are you trying to tell us you're driving from 500 - 8000 RPMS daily. Or trying to tell us 500 - 800 kilometers daily?? Which I can certainly see the latter being true. 500 - 800 RPMS would barely be idle speed.[/b]

I'm thinking he's talking about his stereo system... RMS as in amp output.

I run more than that and still on the original 10y/o alternator.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah sorry I meant 500-800watts from my stereo, and I believe the AC is working fine just not as cold as it used to be (it was never that cold to begin with). I'll have to listen to the engine bay sometime and no I never replaced my fuel filter before.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car died 4 times tonight =/ Can I rule out that it's an alternator problem?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Open the throttle plate a 1/4 turn past throttle stop screw contact with the throttle stop lever. Disconnect the battery and let the car relearn idle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: If I slowly go into a stop my car wont die, but the harder I stop the easier it is the drop the revs to near death or death. Could it possibly be my transmission sucking a big one?

·
Registered
422 Posts
QUOTE (adio @ Jun 6 2009, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730620
Update: If I slowly go into a stop my car wont die, but the harder I stop the easier it is the drop the revs to near death or death. Could it possibly be my transmission sucking a big one?[/b]

X2 on the vac leaks, check for hissing noise, spray a little carb cleaner around suspect areas. Any change in rmps indictaes a leak and that are a must be fixed.
X2 on cleaning the IAC valve. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was poking around by my intake and I saw that the filter compartment wasnt clipped down right so the bottom part wasn't fully sealed. Hasn't died yet. Man i feel stupid :lol2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts