Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after I got my SHO last year, I was acting like a kid with a new toy revving the engine, and when I shifted the transmission back into drive, it didn't shift right away, just acted like it was still in neutral except with no rev limiter. I didn't think much of it at the time because it shifted right into drive after that, but last week when I was trying to get out of a slippery situation on some ice in front of my house, during shifting between reverse and drive, it happened again. It just sat in drive and revved to 7k with no power transfer. About 2 seconds after RPMs returned to idle speed, it shifted into drive and I haven't had any other problems besides these. What could have caused this?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, not being much of a tranny man, i just wonder if it's something built into the PCM to prevent neutral bombs? Or does it usually shift right away when you're revving the balls off of it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being one to rev the balls out of a car with a 4500 RPM rev limiter, I'd say it usually shifts right away, but like I said it's only done this twice.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Even if it is a problem I'd try hard not to subject the trans to those circumstances which cause the problem to show. When shifting between N to D or R to D always let the engine idle down before performing the switch. Only time I ever shift my autos (mainly my taurus :) )between gears at higher than idle (like 1200 rpm's max) is when stuck and I know that will help free me. You should never switch between hears with the engine turning much faster than that. If you do have a problem and the trans pops into gear near 7k rpm's you have a good chance of damaging it, these cars don't have the strongest transmissions and even good autos won't tolerate that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It seems to be taking time in engaging / slipping.
Might be because of the cold fluid.

To save any damage, wait for a seconds or two, after shifting the lever to D, till the Tranny engages.

Never, rev the RPMs till it engage, else you will damage the Tranny.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to be taking time in engaging / slipping.
Might be because of the cold fluid.

To save any damage, wait for a seconds or two, after shifting the lever to D, till the Tranny engages.

Never, rev the RPMs till it engage, else you will damage the Tranny.
[/b]
Speaking of the tranny fluid, I never did get the chance to flush the generic stuff and replace with premium synthetic since the cooler line swap... Thanks for reminding me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts