Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

OK. Let me start off by saying Thank you for developing a website geared specifically to the Taurus. Maybe the folks here can point me in the right direction with the issue this car is having. Lord knows the dealership hasnt been able to.

Well, the issue is with my mothers 03' Taurus. I am pretty sure it's an SE and it's a 6cyl automatic. The car has some sort of electrical problem that 3 trips to the dealership and 2 more to a private mechanic have failed to solve.

I have driven the vehicle several times and the engine just up and dies. There have been several things that trigger it and all are electrical that I know of. Once, I lowered the window (power windows) and the moment I pushed the button, it died. Another time, I went by my younger brother's house and blew the horn. It died. The cruise has done it too.

Almost every time the car will start right back up normally. A few times it has taken more than one try to get it started again. When that occurs, the "theft" light comes on and the other lights are dim.

Oh, and if it dies while moving, it will restart on its own. This hasnt happened to me, but my mother said it has to her.

If anyone out there can give me a decent lead to follow, I would be very appreciative.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Worst case scenario is the computer is going bad.

There could be a lose wire in the steering column. I remember a while back some people were having problem with the engine not starting, but if the steering wheel was tilted, it would start fine. Maybe try adjusting the tilt steering to a slightly different notch and see if it keeps stable?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello all,

OK. Let me start off by saying Thank you for developing a website geared specifically to the Taurus. Maybe the folks here can point me in the right direction with the issue this car is having. Lord knows the dealership hasnt been able to.

Well, the issue is with my mothers 03' Taurus. I am pretty sure it's an SE and it's a 6cyl automatic. The car has some sort of electrical problem that 3 trips to the dealership and 2 more to a private mechanic have failed to solve.

I have driven the vehicle several times and the engine just up and dies. There have been several things that trigger it and all are electrical that I know of. Once, I lowered the window (power windows) and the moment I pushed the button, it died. Another time, I went by my younger brother's house and blew the horn. It died. The cruise has done it too.

Almost every time the car will start right back up normally. A few times it has taken more than one try to get it started again. When that occurs, the "theft" light comes on and the other lights are dim.

Oh, and if it dies while moving, it will restart on its own. This hasnt happened to me, but my mother said it has to her.

If anyone out there can give me a decent lead to follow, I would be very appreciative.
[/b]
It might be that a bad ground is causing this. Maybe start inspecting those first, disconnect, clean, tighten again. Check battery terminals as well. Make notes what you checked. Good luck
Stan

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
With it cutting out under a sizeable electrical load like operating the window & the lights being dim & it acting out & clearing up while moving I'd maybe suspect a faulty battery cable, or connection.

So I'd run this puppy by your favorite autoparts store for a no cost, in vehicle, electrical system checkup, via their portable electrical system tester.

Correctly used it can properly load test the electrical generating system & can sniff out things like bad battery cables & connections, faulty battery cells, faulty alternator,

Let us know how it goes & list what the Dealer & Tech have already done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts