Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while driving up an average size hill, my AC stop blowing and made a clicking noise near the windshield. Then as we ascended the hill and leveled back out, the AC went back to blowing normal????? This happened twice today??? Any ideas...:(
Thanks in advance

Joe D.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It has been almost a year and no one has anything or has this problem???

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
What car, eng. is this happening on? The reason i ask, is some cars (mostly 4 cyl.) have a WOT (wide open throttle) switch that cuts off the ac when ascending hills, passing, etc. to keep power level at the max. Ac resumes normal operation when car is no longer under a demanding load.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only thing that i could think of would be a pressure switch, if the clutch on compressor is ruled out. Method to check pressure switch, see the link:

I hope this helps--Scott

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A clicking noise inside the cabin sounds like the blend door assembly screwing up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What car, eng. is this happening on? The reason i ask, is some cars (mostly 4 cyl.) have a WOT (wide open throttle) switch that cuts off the ac when ascending hills, passing, etc. to keep power level at the max. Ac resumes normal operation when car is no longer under a demanding load.
I never heard of this switch, which doesn't mean anything. This is on my 02 Windstar. It has a 3.8l V6 eng. But, what you are saying is exactly what is happening! Do you know where this switch is located and any information you can add about this switch?

Thanks
Joe D.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Wot

I never heard of this switch, which doesn't mean anything. This is on my 02 Windstar. It has a 3.8l V6 eng. But, what you are saying is exactly what is happening! Do you know where this switch is located and any information you can add about this switch?

Thanks
Joe D.
They were common on Vulcans for many years. Worked of Vacuum. Never replaced, so I do not know where they were. Later years maybe used the processor. The Vulcans in the 80's needed it and it worked just fine. The Essex did not need it.

-chart-

·
Registered
23 Posts
At one time, I had two 98 Continentals. One of them would do the very same thing. When the engine was pulling hard, the A/C compressor would click off. Once the engine was pulling normal, the A/C compressor went back to normal. It is my understanding that this is a normal thing.

The other 98 Continental, and my present 02 Continental do not do this.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
Dunno if you have one or where it would be located on an 02 winnie. Might consult a haynes or chiltons manual. I just returned a windstar haynes manual to my father-in-law. Ill check the next time im over there. On my old 84 tempo, it was mounted near the feedback carb. It performed exactly as you have described.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Wot a/c

At one time, I had two 98 Continentals. One of them would do the very same thing. When the engine was pulling hard, the A/C compressor would click off. Once the engine was pulling normal, the A/C compressor went back to normal. It is my understanding that this is a normal thing.

The other 98 Continental, and my present 02 Continental do not do this.
If it is done on a Taurus, then the power to the clutch passes through, directly or indrectly the PCM. And the CCRM.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
I would doubt your 3.8 02 windstar would be equipped with a wot switch as they were usually installed on low powered engines (4 cyls.), but stranger things have been done, lol. I was thinking maybe you were referring to your focus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts