Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I picked up my 1998 SHO late Tuesday. I was driving it home and I noticed the A/C is acting weird. I was driving on a road that was 55MPH. The limit changed to 60 and I accelerated (not that heavily...about half way to the floor and it downshifted to 2nd) SO the A/C starts getting all musty and hot. It never got cold again. So we stopped at an automotive place. We picked up a re-charge kit with the gauge on it and it went to the "ALERT" line letting me know that the A/C was full of the R-134 refrigerent. After the car had been off for about 5 minutes...we restarted it and the air was ice cold. It stayed that way for the rest of the day. Then the next day I think the problem is gone and it comes back. Driving along and the A/C cuts out. So I stop at a good year repair shop and they go through a diagnostic thing for about $50.00. They kept it all day and told me that I need a new compressor and clutch, orifice, etc, etc. He said the total would be $2,150 I said I couldn't afford it. So he calls me back and says "maybe we could get by without replacing the compressor, I can replace the other stuff for $1,200." I told him that was still way high. I left the shop and drove home...the A/C was cold the whole 10 mile trip... Am I getting ripped and what do you think the problem could be???

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
On most cars, if you're driving along and you stomp on the gas to accelerate quickly, the automatic transmission will drop down into a lower gear. At the same time, the A/C compressor will usually turn off while at full throttle to improve acceleration, since the compressor is a drag on the engine while it (the compressor) is running. When you let up on the gas and let the engine RPMs drop, the A/C will come back on. It sounds as though when you accelerated from 55-60, something may have triggered this switch to turn off the compressor and it just doesn't reset itself until after the engine is turned off...I'll see if I can find anything in the shop manual about this.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your help. The only thing though...I thought the A/C only shut off during wide open throttle?? I didn't floor it for sure. It sucks though! I can't wait for it to be fixed.

Anyone else have any suggestions also?

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am getting ripped?! Lol, we thought so...but I've never had anything like this done so I wasn't sure. What could be the problem!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.