Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many thousands of miles, my car finally got it's first full ATF flush. Following the Wiki's guide, local TCCA member michakaveli taught me how to do the work. The job in itself is not complicated by any means...but it can certainly take a long time, especially if you are a n00b to it all like me. Used Mobil1 Synthetic ATF (which indicated it satisfied or met Mercon V requirements).

The transmission cooler added 6,000 miles ago made disconnecting the lines up front extremely easy. The bucket collecting the old fluid, ended up some rather dark, well used ATF.

Whenever your filling up the transmission with new fluid...do not pour it in too quickly, as the transmission will spit the fluid right back out (the dipstick and transaxle vent are the same tube ? ).

After dropping the pan and emptying the remaining contents in the catch container, the magnet's collection of 116,000 miles of metallic material/sludge like material clearly indicated little to no transmission maintenance had ever been performed. Wiping down the lines above the pan changed the color from brownish crud to the stock gray.

The real major pain of the job was not the filter, but the filter gasket. I'll be making note of this in the Wiki, but hopefully this picture explains it (click for larger):
[image=width=600]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/beachbum86/00Taurus/AX4NFlush1108/IMG_2144.jpg[/image]

michakaveli had explained to me before how that worked, but I still ended up chipping away at that rubber on the wrong side. After he got under the car, shimmied a small flathead screwdriver under and bent that back, I finally understood what he (and Qwerty mentioned this as well IIRC). A pair of needle nose plyers pulled that part out. What a crap design :thumbsdown:

After installing a new filter, a new pan gasket from Ford, and filling it up... a few spirited runs to make sure all was well, the AX4N appears to be shifting just fine. It still has 116K, but there is a noticeable difference in the way it shifts. Especially at lower RPM shift points.

Spent part of Saturday and some of Sunday watching michakaveli hooking up the MACH RCU to his 05 SE. Also helped install the tweeters w/MACH grilles, and a CD changer. Quite a noticeable difference compared to the stock RCU. Not a bad sub $100 upgrade combination. :thumb: His car is already prewired for puddle lamps AND heated mirrors. Looks like Ford changed things...

Thanks again for your help michakaveli!

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Nick, nice to hear that you've kept busy!!
Now when you come up for the 09 auto show, you can tranny flush all 4 of my Tauri!! :lol2:

I changed the antifreeze and oil on the Sport this weekend. :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick, nice to hear that you've kept busy!!
Now when you come up for the 09 auto show, you can tranny flush all 4 of my Tauri!! :lol2:

I changed the antifreeze and oil on the Sport this weekend. :)
[/b]
That would be a lot of transmission fluid! :lol2:

Where are the pictures of the new Sport?

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Nick, I'm still cleaning it up. :)
We got a light coating of snow tonight!! :angry:

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Looks like you've been busy Nick! Unfortunately it's dusting with snow here in this area as well, so looks like most of my "out door activities" are being put on hold... Until finer weather of course! :thumb: I know my first list is to clean the engine bay completely. I want to be able to make eggs off that lower intake and be able to safely consume them!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
woot! Good job sir. My filter gasket was stuck like that as well. It's like it fuses to the transmission.

Here's to the trans lasting another 116k. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
Great job, Nick! I have changed tranny fluid / filters about 10 times in the last 15 years in various Tauri, and every time the filter gasket stuck in there just like yours did. A screwdriver to bend it out and a needle nose plyers to yank it out always worked for me.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Good job :thumb:

I've never seen one of those o-rings come out with the filter. I always gradually work it out with a flathead screwdriver, gradually prying down opposite sides of the circle until it sticks out below the hole and I can grab it with a needlenose. It makes it much easier than battling like that, and there's no chance of gouging the transmission case :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Looks good Nick. Speaking of RCU, I just need to come up the cash so I can score one from duraSEL. The 2004 SES is now payed for and I like to spoil my parents some :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks Nick for helping out with the MACH RCU and tweeter and changer install. A WORLD of a difference, at least for a Taurus. Nothing like a walking Taurus encyclopedia when you need one.

Now for that Autopian Detail! We'll find time one of these weekends. It's SC, so it doesn't snow :D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Nick for helping out with the MACH RCU and tweeter and changer install. A WORLD of a difference, at least for a Taurus. Nothing like a walking Taurus encyclopedia when you need one.

Now for that Autopian Detail! We'll find time one of these weekends. It's SC, so it doesn't snow :D
[/b]
Hehe, glad I could help (watch).

I can't wait to tackle that detail...the car is in need of it. Bird sh!t protection is necessary where I park.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts