Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the cabin air filter Saturday, then for some reason the heat in the car is no longer as hot as it used to be. I've confirmed that I replaced the filter properly. What else can I look at? The AC works perfectly, but the heat is almost lukewarm now
Oh by the way, here's what the old filter looked like:

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I changed the cabin air filter Saturday, then for some reason the heat in the car is no longer as hot as it used to be. I've confirmed that I replaced the filter properly. What else can I look at? The AC works perfectly, but the heat is almost lukewarm now
Oh by the way, here's what the old filter looked like:
View attachment 215253
Mine was worse! Full area above the filter was mouse nest. Likely your heater core is plugged. New filter makes more air volume and thus less temperature.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Assuming you have a Vulcan, search "Clinton Flush" on this site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I took the car to my neighborhood lube shop (they do a good job) and had them flush since I intended to have it done anyway. It was after that I realized the car DOES have heat but it seems to work best when DRIVING. If the car is just idling, then the heat is weak, but once on the road all is well. The temp gauge indicates correct operating temps (even though the gauge DOES have its issues), so I don't think the t'stat is the problem, but I might just change it out anyway. Maybe the water pump could be a possible cause? Or do you all think I should just change out the heater core anyway?

·
Registered
546 Posts
A shop "flush" (likely a drain and replace) is nowhere near as thorough as even a drive around cleaner let alone a reverse flush.

Changing the heater core is a big job and not warranted at this point.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
It is a partially plugged heater core. Take it from someone who has own three of these and had to do all three to recover heat. You get heat at highway speeds because the water pump is turning faster and pushes more hot water through plugged core. You also have to make sure the bypass hose is crimped off to force the flush water through the core. Flush is useless if you don't do that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've done a Clinton flush 3 of the last 4 years I've owned our car, in the Fall. Each year it gets hotter. Four years ago it had no heat at all. Last night I tried the heat (first cool night after flushing 2 weeks ago) and it was blazing hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts