Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is any way to make my 1990 Ford Taurus with the 3.0L V6 get better gas mileage. I have a cold air intake on it, which help keep my engine cooler. If you have any suggestions that would be helpful thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Do a search or look at the topic finder. It has been discussed before. Also, your car has a cold air intake from the factory since it pulls the air from the fender.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't drive! LOL

Avoid jack rabbit starts, watch the fuel you put in. The higher percentage of Ethanol, the less distance you can drive on the amount of fuel. Many gas stations put up to 10% of Ethanol in Regular gas and 05 in Premium. But some, such as Husky, have 10% of Ethanol in all grades. I wont be using their fuel anymore, as my Vulcan pings on hard acceleration with their fuel.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Berrymans B12 additive seems to bump it a little. A nice solvent of an additive for about $3 at walmart.

But i feel your pain the Taurus gets bad mileage in the city, my city average is about 16 mpg per tank while pure highway tends to be around 29 mpg

·
Registered
453 Posts
Driving style will make the biggest difference in mpg.

But here are a few tips:

1. Keep tire pressure on the high side
2. Try to coast as much as possible up to stop signs and lights. Try not to totally stop at lights by timing them.
3. Run as thin a motor oil as you can
4. A little Marvel Mystery oil in the gas can help a little
5. Make sure air filter and plugs are in good shape
6. Try to idle car as little as possible
7. Increase and decrease speed gradually.

Don't fall for these gas saver devices. If they worked car manufactures would be using them.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks, my stock air intake was a box that sucked through the fender, the new one is a barrel cold air intake and I can see a difference in my temp. gauge after installing it. Thanks for those tips I was just making sure there wasn't a mod or "chip" that I could hook into it to tell the injectors to push less fuel, thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts