Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any threads available on changing water pump on a 2001 taurus 3.8. any info would be appreciated
Paul

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Engine

any threads available on changing water pump on a 2001 taurus 3.8. any info would be appreciated
Paul
Start over with what engine you have.

Last 3.8 was in '95 if my memory is still working. :p

You have a Vulcan or DOHC.

Completely different projects.

-chart-

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did one of these about 2 mos. ago. Not nearly as bad a job as I was anticipating. Might wanna change the lower radiator hose while you've got things apart as it's a little easier to get to the water pump end of it.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Essex vs DOHC

I would take an Essex over a Duratec. ;)
I have had 4 Essex front wheel drive, 3 rear wheel drive, and now have 2 Duratec.

The Essex was a hodpog of fill in between old school and newer designs. Famous for blowing head gaskets. Aluminum head on iron block is formula for leaks. It is a very quiet low rpm high torque comfortable engine if you do not want to go fast. High torque, low HP. And unfortunat that they married it to high slip rate converter and slow shifting trans.

-chart-

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have had 4 Essex front wheel drive, 3 rear wheel drive, and now have 2 Duratec.

The Essex was a hodpog of fill in between old school and newer designs. Famous for blowing head gaskets. Aluminum head on iron block is formula for leaks. It is a very quiet low rpm high torque comfortable engine if you do not want to go fast. High torque, low HP. And unfortunat that they married it to high slip rate converter and slow shifting trans.

-chart-
The head gaskets were always an issue, but as head gasket material/designs got better, the chances of it happening got much lower, though it's always a liability. The engine is a pretty good design otherwise, the power output was good. It has a very strong block and the after market is the best for Ford V6 engines.

The Essex also saw fleet duty in E-Series vans, as well as the F-150. It did pretty well there, too.

I would love to own a Duratec, and I'm not trying to suggest that the Essex is better, but I think some people have a very misguided perception of the engine. It doesn't deserve the reputation it got between 95/98. The engine was better than most people think. They ditched it from the Taurus sure, but they kept it in quite a few vehicles, and it did pretty well until they stopped producing them.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I had a '95 GL with the 3.8. I didn't like it one bit. The Duratec is light years better in performance, durability, and gas mileage. Of course, that's just my opinion, others may vary.

Ford should've kept the 4.9L (300cid) straight 6 in the offering. That was a great engine.
They upped the HP to 200 in '96. It got pretty peppy after that. I would tend to agree with you about durability, the Duratec is a very reliable engine. But on performance, the Essex always out torqued the Duratec.

As for gas mileage, the Essex got better MPGs than the Vulcan in the windstar, so they dropped the engine. Though, the windstar does have an extra 1000lb on a taurus. I think the fuel economy should be similar to barely worse than the 3.0s.

A ford inline six still exists, too bad they won't bring it over here. With one of those nice RWD cars. :lol2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts