Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing out my water pump on a 1993 merucry sable with the 3.8. So far so good but I am having a heck of a time removing the lower radiator hose. Has anyone esle had this trouble? If so how did you take it out? they are stuck on pretty good. Thank You.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Sometimes if you break the seal on one side the rest of it will slide right off. My old '93 3.8 had that pipe section and o-ring but I don't remember if it could slip off with the waterpump on the car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you are replacing the hose anyway, slide a small screw driver under the hose and slit the hose, just be careful not to scratch up the hose mating surface to much. I like to use a little RTV on my hoses going back on to help seal and believe it or not it actually seems to make them easier to remove later. The down side to the RTV is the hose probably shouldn't be reused if you take it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
before i disconnect any hoses, i always twist them first to break the seal. sometime i have to use a pair of channel locks to gently aid in the twisting force. once it can twist back and forth, then you should be able to slide it off.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
And apply some silicone grease to the inside of the new hose so it comes off easier next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts