Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is the second time I had to replace the dreaded water pump on my 2012 Taurus, first one at 120k, second one at 162k. What a PIA. Both times the work went fairly smooth but this time I'm getting the check engine light, error codes P00011, P00018, and P0021. The car runs great, no issues at all except for the check engine light. Anyone have thoughts on what could be going on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow , no replies yet? Did you get it resolved?
My guess is not too many have done this repair as it is quite extensive. I checked the chain several times to make sure I got it right before reassembly but I now have doubts and think the chain is off a tooth on the crank sprocket given the codes. It puzzles me that it runs great and I'm getting 23mpg but the engine does sound a little different to me at higher rpm and seems to be a little sluggish at higher rpm. This suggests the valve timing is not being advanced as the rpm increases. I plan on ripping it down again next week to inspect the timing chain position, not looking forward to it but too curious about what's wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't those cars have variable valve timing? Even if you timed it properly, there might be an issue with the variable valve timing system.
Also, there is less activity on these forums in general than there was 10+ years ago. I think that trend applies to most other forums as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the engine is a 3.5L with VVT, nothing to time and the system worked fine before I replaced the water pump. My other thought was does the VVT actuator and sprockets need to be primed with oil? I couldn't find anything that suggests this so before I take it all the way down I plan to remove a VVT actuator and see if there is oil in the hole. If not that would be the problem. I know what you mean about less activity, I'm a bit on in years and don't know any younger guys into auto repairs or restoration. Everyone drives new fancy trucks around here.

BTW I'm restoring a 1995 F150 (off frame). My kids call it the Jethro truck because it was rusted with patch panels and different shades of primer, but not for long.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
583 Posts
Yes the engine is a 3.5L with VVT, nothing to time and the system worked fine before I replaced the water pump. My other thought was does the VVT actuator and sprockets need to be primed with oil? I couldn't find anything that suggests this so before I take it all the way down I plan to remove a VVT actuator and see if there is oil in the hole. If not that would be the problem. I know what you mean about less activity, I'm a bit on in years and don't know any younger guys into auto repairs or restoration. Everyone drives new fancy trucks around here.

BTW I'm restoring a 1995 F150 (off frame). My kids call it the Jethro truck because it was rusted with patch panels and different shades of primer, but not for long.
I hear you about less mechanics today, but then cars run much better with computer controls than cars of yesteryear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hear you about less mechanics today, but then cars run much better with computer controls than cars of yesteryear.
Electronics take care of the carburetors and ignition systems, but the cars are more complex today, and there is plenty of stuff going wrong with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello All,

This is the second time I had to replace the dreaded water pump on my 2012 Taurus, first one at 120k, second one at 162k. What a PIA. Both times the work went fairly smooth but this time I'm getting the check engine light, error codes P00011, P00018, and P0021. The car runs great, no issues at all except for the check engine light. Anyone have thoughts on what could be going on?
Well finally figured out what was wrong. I had some bad information about the link count from bank 1 to bank 2 cams. I was told there should be 48 links between them which is wrong, it should be 49. I confirmed the link count with a Cloyes brand chain that is well marked. Car runs great 👍

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
583 Posts
Well finally figured out what was wrong. I had some bad information about the link count from bank 1 to bank 2 cams. I was told there should be 48 links between them which is wrong, it should be 49. I confirmed the link count with a Cloyes brand chain that is well marked. Car runs great 👍
Thanks for the update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts