Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my slogan with this car is: " You fix one thing and something else pops up". So one morning I just happen to check under the hood and to my surprise the coolant level slightly dropped below the fill line. No biggie..I just put a lil coolant in and called it a day. Around noon time I noticed a puddle under the car so I popped the hood again. Coolant level dropped dramatically..close to nothing at all. Not good. So I jacked it up to take a look..it was dripping near the crankshaft pulley. Looking further up I kinda pinpoint the leak right above where the lower radiator hose meets the water pump. My question is could it be the pump ( which looks like a pain in the rear job ) or the timing cover that I probably won't have the will to do? I'm tired of putting money into a totaled car which I can't get rid of..if you wanna hear that story let me know smh. Anyways..thank you in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Well the timing cover doesn't usually leak from the front of the cover. My three out of three fail gaskets failed in the rear of the cover. One of my covers had pits half way through the lower radiator hose connector of the TC cover which I replaced. Your issue may be a weak spring clamp on that hose. Install a worm drive clamp. Usually a water pump weeps at the weep holes at the bearing housing.

There is also a freeze plug in the head right above the hose connection.

Attachments

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,761 Posts
@ice445 The car has around 116k. Idk how to upload pictures. Is it a copy paste or do I need an app?
When you are posting, scroll down to the Additional Options section and click on Manage Attachments. Browse for your photos, then click Upload (you may need to enlarge the screen or scroll rightward) and that's all there is to it.

The coolant pump on a Vulcan is not too bad to replace. If you go so far as to remove it to inspect it, for the aggravation and low cost involved just replace it anyway. Fewer things will annoy you more than to remove and replace a part, only to have it fail a few weeks later and you have to do that labor all over again. If you decide to do so, shell out the extra for a Motorcraft or the Gates replacement brand from NAPA. The import junk from Advance and Auto Zone are remans and will fail within 24 months. I replaced four over nine years, then bought a Gates a few years ago. Not a problem since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts