Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
both driver side rad hoses are hot and pressurized, but the water pump outlet hose stays cold. I dont hear any noises from the pump but I have zero history on this vehicle. Iit wont blow heat either, both fans work and the rad does contain heat, so im ruling out thermostat.

it gurgles when you shut it down too, will fill resevoir and then twenty min later after it cools its empty again... (expansion... boiling...?) bars leak and water wetter made no difference, the cold outlet on water pump has me convinced but im hoping for a second opinion this weekend. it runs, starts and drives too well to be headgasket imo

thanks. its a 98 3.0 dohc merc over 300k km

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Water pump impeller is probably sheared off and a clogged Heater core would be my guess. It's not a vulcan so a blown head gasket is probably not it, Blown head gaskets are not common in the duratec.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so since I have no previous history of this car. What can I expect for damages from potential overheating a few times from prev owner?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Top hose from water pump goes to heater hose

on the Vulcan, is it the same on the tec?

If so, and it is cold (or not hot), you probably have a clogged heater core which makes sense if you'te not getting heat.

With 300K miles and unknown service history, likely the pump, radiator and core need to be inspected and possibly replaced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya but no circulation and having the motor boil it out the only way it can means it's not going through the smaller lines for the core but the directest route possible. Not arguing other things need checking, but unless there are fragments of pump in the system the core may not be plugged... Right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts