Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a specific question even though I have found much info on the subject, I couldn't find the answer to this one. The heater doesn't work, and if the cause is the rotten water pump impeller, will the car overheat anytime soon? The temp gage is buried low, so I know it is probably the thermo, but I want to be armed with information because I am buying the car 2morrow. Even if it is the htr core causing this problem, I still am going to buy the car. I just don't want the water pump to go out on me, that is my main concern. I'm getting the car cheap so I just need it to run for a few weeks. Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Somtimes, yes, the water pump can be bad, but the car won't overheat. It is a "used" car thats more than 10 years old, so anything can happen. How does the coolant look?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm giving it one last look b4 I buy it. I'll have a look at the coolant this morning. Is there something specific I should look for? Thanks

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Dark colored, or signs of corrosion in the tank. The dark colored coolant means 1: they put stop leak in there, or 2: the plastic impeller on the water pump is going out, or even more rare 3: oil is in the coolant and it needs a head gasket. If it needs a water pump, they're cheap and not very hard to install, that wouldn't stop me from buying the car, if the price is right :D FYI the heater cores on Vulcan engine Taurus' are prone to getting clogged from debris, but there's a fix for that in the wiki section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess even if the coolant is brown I will still buy it for 6hundy. 97 with 152k on it. runs good with cold as heck AC and everything else works with one dent. so, taken a chance but I think a good one. i made a handy check list with the info from this site. great site! thanks - jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts