Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 2014 taurus police interceptor from the town in connecticut where I live. The vehicle with 123k on the clock has a coolant leak, all this was revealed beforehand so it came as no surprise and my bid was in line with a vehicle that would possibly need an engine replacement. Long story short, the dealer which was recommended to me says a water pump replacement with get it up and running and that they can do it with all the gaskets for about $2300 tax included. They don't seem to be pushing for a timing chain replacement which I've heard should also be done as long as everything is apart. The town takes pretty good care of their vehicles and the taurus runs smooth and is in good shape otherwise. What would be the conventional wisdom of posters here. Anything else to consider. Will they be able to detect a worn timing chain by visually inspecting it. I've called to 2 other dealers and the price quoted is in line with their estimates, more or less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting both done, I kinda knew the answer before I asked it. I also told them to use their judgement on anything else they see. Also read a post somewhere that they replaced the oil pump when doing this job, not sure if that's not a little bit of overkill.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You've answered the question here, but my logic is this:

Spend ~$3000 now for all of the above or spend $2000 each time one of the components wear out.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
What engine in the interceptor?
I just did the timing chain on my Taurus '99 wagon 296K U engine and new WP since it was apart.
Replaced the oil pan gasket too w/o dropping the exhaust pipes. Used cable ties to keep the new FelPro gasket in place as I stretched it into place, insert a few bolts then cut the cable ties.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The water pump on the 3.5L and turbo are located on the bottom of the front of the engine. The labor is a lot because you have to take apart everything. First make sure oil didn’t mix with coolant. If it did, do not repair, replace with a rebuilt or used engine.
The reason is that it will ruin everything it touches like the oil pressure sender, transfer case if AWD, and more.
Melling makes the OEM chains for Ford. Unless they are damaged, there is no need to replace any chain. A rebuilt engine will have a new water pump installed. Of course your big expense is labor. Don’t use Ford unless you have warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
What engine in the interceptor?
I just did the timing chain on my Taurus '99 wagon 296K and new WP since it was apart.
Replaced the oil pan gasket too w/o dropping the exhaust pipes. Used cable ties to keep the new FelPro gasket in place as I stretched it into place, insert a few bolts then cut the cable ties.
The interceptors have the 3.7l Twin turbo V6 if I'm not mistaken. Fast mfers, but definitely has been beat to hell. If I ever bought one I'd replace everything I could possibly afford to keep it running for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Original PI Explorer and Taurus’ used the 3.5L engine. Then when Lincoln finished their 3.7L engine, Ford switched to that in the PI.
The 3.5L twin turbo was optional. Most did not have the turbo.
Now, most 2020+ PI’s use the 3.3L Hybrid Engine or the 3.3L hybrid Flex Fuel or the optional ($5,000+) 3.0 DOHC Twin Turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts