Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lucky to go this long (195k) without the water pump failing. Finally thinking about having it replaced, preventively instead of waiting for failure, along with the timing belt while they're in there. Trying to determine the cost-benefit of spending $2200 on a car this old. It's been highly reliable and I'd like to get another 50k out of it, but of course there's so much more that can go wrong at this age. For instance, the exhaust system has never been a problem, not even any serious corrosion last time I looked. Then there's the other external parts, A/C compressor, alternator, starter etc. Some of that top-engine work I can do myself, so not everything is a trip to the shop at least. But still, this old grey bull she ain't what she used to be.

So the question is, am I opening up a money pit? Are all those other potential failures likely to spring up soon as I make this investment in longevity, or has the 2011 Taurus historically held up as well as mine has to date? Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
190 Posts
It's a risk but if the car is highly reliable and you're religious with normal maintenance, given the insanity of current car market I would probably bite the bullet. As a matter of fact, my 2013 is approaching 100k and timing+waterpump+suspension job is looming. I had a plan of getting a new car this year but the prices are insane the plan is to drive the Taurus for another 2 years - at least. Given that, I plan on doing what's necessary come summer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a risk but if the car is highly reliable and you're religious with normal maintenance, given the insanity of current car market I would probably bite the bullet.
Thanks dundun. Yeah, it's a roll of the dice. The immediate cost is bearable, and will be recovered shortly in lieu of taking on a new car payment. It's a Limited and I do like the car. But if all the "little" things $tart popping up $oon, I may come to regret it. Meanwhile, I have a ticking time bomb in my crankcase, if it goes off I've pretty much lost all value in the vehicle.

So it's quite the conundrum. I'm leaning toward getting the work done and hoping for the best. But other's input might sway me differently - if the tranny's known to drop out at 210k, or the entire front end is scheduled to fail, those big ticket items might best be left for someone else to worry about, via a trade-in.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks again dun

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
Are you currently losing any coolant? Are the weephole(s) dry? Are you running the "New Yellow" coolant? I get where you're coming from, but that's pretty expensive preventive maintenance/peace of mind. I think I'd be tempted to monitor the coolant level closely and change it on/before schedule. Watch it like a hawk, lol. If you catch it early before damage is done, you can still get it repaired if needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you currently losing any coolant? Are the weephole(s) dry? Are you running the "New Yellow" coolant? I get where you're coming from, but that's pretty expensive preventive maintenance/peace of mind. I think I'd be tempted to monitor the coolant level closely and change it on/before schedule. Watch it like a hawk, lol. If you catch it early before damage is done, you can still get it repaired if needed.
Thought I might've caught a whiff of coolant once or twice. No leaks I could see but will take another look. Coolant change is due. You're right, it's expensive for peace of mind. But it will fail, eventually.

I'll evaluate it a little further, give it a thorough look, clean it up real good then drive it and look again. Maybe I can let the fuse burn for a while longer. I don't look forward to the expenditure any sooner than necessary, but I don't want to wait for catastrophic failure either. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
759 Posts
It is like driving around with a bomb waiting for the explosion! These are great cars but have one HUGE mistake. Glad to hear someone has almost 200K on theirs, makes me breath a little easier. I know parts fail when they are ready, but knowing an average life is handy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well if you haven't done anything yet and the money to do the maintenance is still there, you can go ahead and sell the car now and let some high schooler have a starter car and possibly learn some maintenance themselves. If it were me, I'd inform them all the parts work but are original and recommend probably changing the water pump first.

Then use the money from the car and the maintenance expense and go get you a younger bull if you liked the car that much. You can use that money as a down payment on a car also and just have a small $100-$200 payment a month and pay it off quicker that way.

Or just drive this motor into the ground and then get a used motor and put it in.

Or sell the car as a parts car after the motor expires.

Good news is you have options. Unlike myself I don't. My water pump just gave up on me a couple weeks ago and I thought it was head gaskets. I wasn't aware of the design. So I've been on a used motor hunt. My car made it to 151k miles. However, I did get the motor shut off quickly so I may have gotten lucky. I did decide to try doing some flushes and see if this motor developes a knock or not and drive it till it expires the rest of the way. Either way I'm in it a new motor so I'd just be out a little bit in fluids and gaskets if this motor doesn't make it. And I'm doing all the work myself. So the DIY they have here I'll be putting to the test. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 131,500
423 Posts
It is like driving around with a bomb waiting for the explosion! These are great cars but have one HUGE mistake.
You meant the " water pump " ?

Chris @ Diablo Auto Care quoted me $1,305 to reseal the timing cover and replace necessary parts last Friday, but he's NOT certain the water pump needs replacing because he & employee mechanic did not visually saw anything wrong with it. He would replace it @ part cost/$159 plus sales tax without additional labor change IF necessary. He explained they will have to remove water pump to work on timing cover. His estimate was 20% lower than another shop in town.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
759 Posts
You meant the " water pump " ?

Chris @ Diablo Auto Care quoted me $1,305 to reseal the timing cover and replace necessary parts last Friday, but he's NOT certain the water pump needs replacing because he & employee mechanic did not visually saw anything wrong with it. He would replace it @ part cost/$159 plus sales tax without additional labor change IF necessary. He explained they will have to remove water pump to work on timing cover. His estimate was 20% lower than another shop in town.
Yes, I am talking water pump on the last generation Taurus. This is a completely different animal than what you have under the hood in your car. The prices Chris quoted you do not seem unreasonable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you haven't done anything yet and the money to do the maintenance is still there, you can go ahead and sell the car now and let some high schooler have a starter car and possibly learn some maintenance themselves. If it were me, I'd inform them all the parts work but are original and recommend probably changing the water pump first.

Then use the money from the car and the maintenance expense and go get you a younger bull if you liked the car that much. You can use that money as a down payment on a car also and just have a small $100-$200 payment a month and pay it off quicker that way.

Or just drive this motor into the ground and then get a used motor and put it in.

Or sell the car as a parts car after the motor expires.

Good news is you have options. Unlike myself I don't. My water pump just gave up on me a couple weeks ago and I thought it was head gaskets. I wasn't aware of the design. So I've been on a used motor hunt. My car made it to 151k miles. However, I did get the motor shut off quickly so I may have gotten lucky. I did decide to try doing some flushes and see if this motor developes a knock or not and drive it till it expires the rest of the way. Either way I'm in it a new motor so I'd just be out a little bit in fluids and gaskets if this motor doesn't make it. And I'm doing all the work myself. So the DIY they have here I'll be putting to the test. Good luck with your car.
Those are exactly the options I'm considering. I'm still leaning toward the repair, hoping to get another 50k out of it. That might be a bit ambitious, but even 20-30k would still be an adequate ROI.

I think she has the overall reliability to make it worthwhile. I'll be more fearful of losing the investment by crashing it as I pull out of the shop, vs worry over another major repair.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks dundun. Yeah, it's a roll of the dice. The immediate cost is bearable, and will be recovered shortly in lieu of taking on a new car payment. It's a Limited and I do like the car. But if all the "little" things $tart popping up $oon, I may come to regret it. Meanwhile, I have a ticking time bomb in my crankcase, if it goes off I've pretty much lost all value in the vehicle.

So it's quite the conundrum. I'm leaning toward getting the work done and hoping for the best. But other's input might sway me differently - if the tranny's known to drop out at 210k, or the entire front end is scheduled to fail, those big ticket items might best be left for someone else to worry about, via a trade-in.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks again dun
I have a 10 sel with 175000 miles
I took a,shot and spent $ 3500 to fix it up in the fall.if I end up spending 5g over two years it's worth it.. I'm not going to have a car like mine for $ 200 a month for two years.but it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2012 Taurus Limited just crossed 198K miles and has shown no signs of this problem. Like the OP, I've been wondering if it's a ticking timebomb. For me, I've pretty much decided against the preventive maintenance and at this point, if she goes she's lived a full life. I'll just continue on with standard preventative maintenance and hope for the best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but it's a crap shoot.
I'm rolling those dice and replacing the water pump this week. If I was still just running around locally I might wait it out, but I have some long hauls coming up. Don't want to be a thousand miles from home worrying if "today's the day".
This solid vehicle hasn't nickel-and-dimed me so far, but it may take a year or so to see if this approach is really worthwhile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dearly love our 2011 SHO Bull, however, I don't know of any other Ford or Lincoln vehicle that has all the features and power and good looks like our Bull. I really don't want an SUV type vehicle, but our Bull has all-wheel drive, great power, lots of options, comfort, etc., etc. etc. so I had the water pump and all the associated cam parts that were exposed swapped out at about 110 K miles. Hopefully, Ford will release another big "Cruiser" like our Bull is before ours' starts getting "sick". Remember the mid 60's Mercury Turnpike Cruiser?? How about the 427, 428, or 429 Galaxie 500? Our SHOs are in the same class as the previous "Classics".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dearly love our 2011 SHO Bull, however, I don't know of any other Ford or Lincoln vehicle that has all the features and power and good looks like our Bull. I really don't want an SUV type vehicle, but our Bull has all-wheel drive, great power, lots of options, comfort, etc., etc. etc. so I had the water pump and all the associated cam parts that were exposed swapped out at about 110 K miles. Hopefully, Ford will release another big "Cruiser" like our Bull is before ours' starts getting "sick". Remember the mid 60's Mercury Turnpike Cruiser?? How about the 427, 428, or 429 Galaxie 500? Our SHOs are in the same class as the previous "Classics".
A 68 Galaxie 500 was one of my first cars. Always liked the big full sizers. This generation of Bulls is somehow considered full size. Nope.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2008 Taurus did 302K with the original pump. In fact when I got rid of it there was never any issues with the engine. I personally believe if you have maintained the car and keep your fluids good then you should be all right. Just keep an eye on everything. Not many pumps go all at once. Usually there are signs like the coolant level decreasing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last week I had mine replaced.
:(
I check for leaks at least monthly, so I spotted the leak from the weep hole before any antifreeze reached the garage floor. It was pooling and drying on top of the skid plate and cross members under the engine. It didn't even get a chance to get to the bottom of the cold fill range on the fill bottle.

I had it repaired at a Ford dealer. $2400-ish for the pump, I asked them to replace the timing chain and tensioner too, they charged an additional $300 for that.

2013 PI Sedan with 69,000 miles and 1703 idle hours. I got the car with 44,000 miles, changed the antifreeze at 45,000 miles and again at 58,000 miles both times with the recommended Motorcraft coolant (1st time orange, 2nd time yellow), and always change the oil between 3,000 - 5,000 miles with Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20. The extra maintenance didn't seem to help the water pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
$2,400 for water pump replacement, come again ?
It's a 10 1/2 hour job and I think the dealer charges something like $185/hour

Reactions: kekaye56
1 - 20 of 22 Posts