Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, My 2005 Taurus is leaking on the passenger floor board something fierce. It seems to be coming from the blower motor. I installed the rubber deflector from the factory repair about a year ago, and it did not leak for a long time. Just this week it started to leak. We have had some heavy rain in TN.

I checked the drain tube and it is flowing fine. I verified the cover to the filter is in place.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Eric.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ford seriously needs to recall this...the TSB is becoming a popular search on Google.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already implemented this repair, it is still leaking. Any thoughts? Why would it just start leaking ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Many of us have had a similar issue. I had this issue after extraordinarily heavy rains up in Ticonderoga, NY last year. Never leaked before. The TSB mentioned above had already been installed and was useless. My problem was (is) the seal (or lack thereof) between the A/C drain and the firewall. Water just poured in there. You can check to see if this is your problem by removing the passneger's side door sill and getting under the carpet up near the blower motor case. The permanent fix involves pulling the entire dash and HVAC system and installing a new factory seal. There's a thread on this forum somewhere where forum member Nidan describes how to RTV this area from the engine compartment. Search is your firend. Good luck on your diagnosis.

·
Registered
186 Posts
QUOTE (drjkel @ May 9 2009, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723846
Many of us have had a similar issue. I had this issue after extraordinarily heavy rains up in Ticonderoga, NY last year. Never leaked before. The TSB mentioned above had already been installed and was useless. My problem was (is) the seal (or lack thereof) between the A/C drain and the firewall. Water just poured in there. You can check to see if this is your problem by removing the passneger's side door sill and getting under the carpet up near the blower motor case. The permanent fix involves pulling the entire dash and HVAC system and installing a new factory seal. There's a thread on this forum somewhere where forum member Nidan describes how to RTV this area from the engine compartment. Search is your firend. Good luck on your diagnosis.[/b]
Same exact problem I had but I found a better/easier way to fix it. Pulling the passenger wheel and wheelwell liner will give you decent access to the AC drain tube sticking out of the firewall. I cleaned the area around the drain tube with grease & wax remover and then sealed the gap with Dumb-Dumb. Dumb-Dumb, as mechanics call it, is the stuff made by 3M used to seal windshields. It's kinda like a black rope caulk that remains pliable. I purchased a box at my local auto store. My drain tube now looks like a little volcano sticking out of the firewall but it's sealed up perfectly!!!! I did this about 1 year ago and the repair seems to be very permanent. Only took me about 30 minutes!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I know this issue well. I fixed it differently. I used an epoxy putty, and moled it around the drain on the firewall in the engine bay. It's been a year, and so far, no problems.

Unfortunately, this water is definatly coming in through the blower motor, not the drain. I did notice the rubber seal was not re-installed properly by the oil change place. They did not bend it around the short 90 degree corner of the cover. I fixed that today, we'll see if that is it.

Any other thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts