Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New guy here just stepped in from next door in the Focus room. My issue is water in the saddlebag area of the trunk, but not coming from below and not coming through the vent flaps themselves. I grabbed a hose and ran water down through the drain in the channel next to the top of the taillight. Water is coming in where the vent is supposed to be sealed to the trunk body metal. Do I need to remove the bumper cover to fix/seal this up from the outside? I don't think it can be done from inside the trunk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hey all! New guy here just stepped in from next door in the Focus room. My issue is water in the saddlebag area of the trunk, but not coming from below and not coming through the vent flaps themselves. I grabbed a hose and ran water down through the drain in the channel next to the top of the taillight. Water is coming in where the vent is supposed to be sealed to the trunk body metal. Do I need to remove the bumper cover to fix/seal this up from the outside? I don't think it can be done from inside the trunk.
Hers a picture of the vent with wetness you can see under it. EDIT: I rotated the picture so down is down now...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Yes, I think you have to take the bumper cover off and have a look from the outside. If you pour water along the trunk I don't think it should be running down inside the rear fender?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think you have to take the bumper cover off and have a look from the outside. If you pour water along the trunk I don't think it should be running down inside the rear fender?
Hmmm... as far as I can tell there is a drain right beside the top of the taillight to get rid of water in the channel around the whole trunk seal. That's where most of the water wentwhen I poured it into that channel. Maybe there is supposed to be a hose there to direct it better to the ground?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check it out. I'm pretty sure water is supposed to drain at this point but is there supposed to be a hose underneath to catch the water and direct it to the ground? On mine it just runs along the body panel and gets caught up around the air vent seal, leaking into the saddlebag area.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Thanks. Well the vent is on the side right? So somehow the water is running down and around to the side?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Well the vent is on the side right? So somehow the water is running down and around to the side?
I have attached a better picture. The carpet is peeled back and you can see the vent going through the right side of the trunk wall- it's the large black, sort of rectangular thing. There is a void between that trunk wall and the bumper cover- the part of the bumper cover that wraps around to right behind the rear wheel well. The water drains through this void and down to the ground, starting from the opening pointed out at the top of the taillight. So, the water flows along the trunk wall (the outside of the trunk wall in the void space) and down to where the vent punches through into the trunk itself. Water collects into what I have referred to as the "saddlebags", which are on either side of the spare tire well. There is a 3/4" rubber plug at the bottom of each "saddlebag" which is removed in this picture and you can see the hole it plugs into. If the saddlebag fills up with enough water it will spill over into the spare tire well, which I have seen reference to in other threads.

So what is my question anyway?.... Oh yeah- do I have to remove the bumper cover to seal around this vent? And second, is there supposed to be a hose to direct water straight to the ground instead of just running down through the void between the trunk shell and the bumper cover?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick reply! The water has to go somewhere to be evacuated from the channel around the top of the trunk seal, and those holes next to the taillights I'm pretty sure are there to serve that purpose. Nowheres else for it to go...

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Okay, well this is my understanding. The water should be directed so it stays near the rear corner of the vehicle. The fact that is is somehow ending up running sideways tells me something might be blocked or dirty so the water is taking the wrong path under the bumper cover. That tube is the sunroof drain.

rear drain.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, well this is my understanding. The water should be directed so it stays near the rear corner of the vehicle. The fact that is is somehow ending up running sideways tells me something might be blocked or dirty so the water is taking the wrong path under the bumper cover. That tube is the sunroof drain.

View attachment 66565
So I guess there is no hose included under there or any other means to direct water more purposefully towards the ground. So if you park on a downhill with the butt end higher the water will flow towards that vent. Not normally a problem unless the seal around it is bad or loose or worn and you end up with my problem.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Yes. I guess park nose-up if you can, otherwise it would be prudent to take the bumper cover off and go at it with some silicone caulk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I guess park nose-up if you can, otherwise it would be prudent to take the bumper cover off and go at it with some silicone caulk.
Yup. Thanks for the replies by the way. Seems to be a good active forum over here on the taurus side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts